advice on dirty water

Users who are viewing this thread

ugabulldog

Reaction score
I have an old 6" drilled well on property I am trying to tie into house. It is about 400' deep with a 1 h.p. pump set at 240'. I have ran well a few times in the past six months and water has been clear. A little over a week ago I shocked well with 2 gal. of clorox. Then last Sat, I ran water out but ran pump dry pumping about 20 gal per min for 20 mins and water was dirty before running dry. Since then I have run water 4 times, including today for about ten min at about 10 gal per min (so about 100 gal x 4 times in a week) Water is still not dirty and tastes/smells dirty....I am confused on if I should continue to run, not run, call well man, etc???? any advice is appreciated

Last edited:

ugabulldog

Reaction score
Update: I ran today for about 20 min, about 15 gpm. (I am running at spicket at wellhead.) water is still dirty/ moldy smell.

Gary: I left chlorine in well from Fri till Sun, 2 days. Casing is steel...???

Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I last did mine 4 years ago and had to run the pump four days and nights non-stop to clear it. I won't do it again unless it fails a coliform test.

Justwater

Well Drilling/Service
Reaction score
steel casing could have a hole rusted into it.. in which case it will never clear, only get worse. might also have something to do with you running your well dry. if dirt/clay/sand/gravel is falling in the well from a hole in the casing, it could be plugging your well causing less production.. the chlorine for 2 days could have been the last nail in the coffin. just something to consider.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks