Adding tee to water heater gas line drip leg

Users who are viewing this thread

gadolphus32

Reaction score
My water heater has a drip leg on the gas line that looks basically like this (not my actual installation, just an image I grabbed quickly online):

hwh_pilot_valve.jpg

I'd like to tap into the gas line to install another appliance by removing the cap at the bottom of the drip leg, installing a tee and branching out from it. The bottom of the tee would be capped, and the middle of the tee would feed the new line.

Is there any reason I can't do this? I understand that the purpose of the drip leg is to catch debris and moisture at the lowest point in the system. It seems to me that the bottom of the tee would still serve this purpose in the configuration I propose, but maybe I'm missing something.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Make sure your sizing is correct for both appliances.
Some places want the drip leg and other don't worry about it. You can tee off and add a second tee below. Assuming the sizing is right.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the combined BTU needs of the existing WH and the new appliance exceed the capacity of the existing gas line, neither one will work right when both are calling for gas. They usually don't upsize branch runs to save costs, so adding on, may not be a viable option. Can't tell unless you know the effective length of the existing piping and the BTU needs of each.

gadolphus32

Reaction score
Thanks all. The new line will feed a gas fireplace. The existing line is half-inch.

So I should calculate the total BTUs of the water heater and the fireplace combined, measure the length of the line and then use a chart like this one to figure out if the half-inch line will suffice?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Calculate what the line can deliver, then see if it is close. Each individually should work fine...they might not when both are firing full. It will make a (big) difference if you have higher gas pressure than 1/2#.

gadolphus32

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll probably just stick with the 1/2-inch line. The fireplace is basically just for looks, not an everyday heat source. We plan to use it only occasionally and probably not at full blast, so I think it would be OK. I'll still do the calculations just to make sure it's not going to be severely under-supplied, though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks