Users who are viewing this thread

purduephotog

Reaction score
Not my house. Thank God.

Helping my neighbor after they moved in to add a disposal I came across this beauty. I told them I was shocked it passed inspection, and that they (and possibly me) are going to need to replace the joists, and at least sister in something in as that's under the tub.

The cast iron is behind it- the previous owner left a 6" nipple hanging off and that's what he (the previous owner) tied into, so it required cutting all of the joists to run the plumbing. (edit: Well, it didn't require, the previous owner was a dolt and an idiot in many things, so it doesn't surprise me he'd be that lazy)

Looking at it I could cut off the PVC and re-route the plumbing to the far wall, sloped, and then wye into the cast iron pipe as it descends to the floor. However I'll need to cut a hole in.

I saw these- mechanical bosses - https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/...-two-piece-cast-iron-soil-pipe-boss-connector

That would work, would fit the drain and minimize rework.

What I'm not seeing is tons of forum posts asking about it, which is making my spidey senses tingle...

Are these things permitted? Am I missing an obviously flawed plan to even suggest it to them?

-I am NOT a contractor, just a friend. These folks have been very helpful to me when I had a stroke and as I recovered, so I'm grateful to help them.

S1BSetY.jpg

Last edited:

James Henry

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you read the description of the pipe boss connector it says for condensate drains only. How many joists are notched? How long are they? Is this in a crawl space? Do they sit on top of floor beams or are they nailed into them from hangers?

purduephotog

Reaction score
If you read the description of the pipe boss connector it says for condensate drains only. How many joists are notched? How long are they? Is this in a crawl space? Do they sit on top of floor beams or are they nailed into them from hangers?

It's in a full basement. One fully butchered joist (seen in the photo), 2 other mildly cut joists (didn't measure the cut). The cut ones may be 2", but I'll get all the measurements.
I linked the wrong one:
https://mcalpineplumbing.com/plasti...-two-piece-cast-iron-soil-pipe-boss-connector
That's an 1"1/2.

The joists themselves run from a steel beam to the sill plate, and are free standing. There's been some separation between the sides of the house too, so they'll need to be adjusted and braced.

I don't have the length off the top of my head; I'd guess 16' from memory but I can check the distances when I head over later to help supervise with the disposal. Hopefully I don't have to smash my head into anything...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
ALL plumbing codes PROHIBIT "saddle tees" for sanitary connections, which is why you do not see many posts about that thing. I would have to know how that joist is supported, but would not lose a lot of sleep, (or time and money to "repair" it), over it.

purduephotog

Reaction score
ALL plumbing codes PROHIBIT "saddle tees" for sanitary connections, which is why you do not see many posts about that thing. I would have to know how that joist is supported, but would not lose a lot of sleep, (or time and money to "repair" it), over it.

Given how the seal was made for the inlet (using an expansion rubber o-ring) I was thinking that that was permitted. Way more water tight/proof than the fernco 'strap on' that I was familiar with. So that answers that then...

Joist is just resting on a steel beam on one side, and a sill plate on the other. large-ish span, I'll get the measurements in a bit when I head over there after lunch. I don't think over 16', though, and probably 5' to the 50% cut.

purduephotog

Reaction score
The fernco "strap on" was also illegal.
Well, yeah... I got my hopes up though for the other one given the sealing structure.
And, sadly, I seem to have seen it a ton... when I was overseas in Germany working. So now I've put the two together.

I can get some angle iron under that joist and screw that in for a good portion. That'll certainly take the load. I forgot to check how much deflection was when I was just over there.

I'll throw a laser across it and see what I can see.

edit: So I guess it'll be this if it has to be moved: there are other water lines that she mentioned and was going to show me, but ... I haven't had the heart to look yet. Too exhausted today.
https://www.finehomebuilding.com/2018/03/14/tie-cast-iron-pipe-pvc

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks