Adding a Utility Sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Houstonian

Reaction score
Im adding a utility sink and plan to use the the vent/drain for my washing machine (see below). Its my understanding that a double wye would work to accomodate the standpipe and the new sink, but I’d like to have the p-trap for the sink as high as possible to keep space open in the cabinet (custom 40” tall). Could I cut throug the next stud and 90* up to the height of p-trap tail, or would that cause a drainage issue for the sink?

Also, I’d like to use Sioux Chief 645XC3 adapters and PEX to replace the water lines that I need to mess with. Would that create any problems?

Project is in TX

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• CD43235A-A8D1-4D94-93F6-65A67218CF05.jpeg
    CD43235A-A8D1-4D94-93F6-65A67218CF05.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 155

Reach4

Reaction score
Also, I’d like to use Sioux Chief 645XC3 adapters and PEX to replace the water lines that I need to mess with. Would that create any problems?
For those who might be wondering what that adapter is, it adapts ¾" CPVC to ¾" PEX (crimp or clamp).

That should work fine.

Houstonian

Reaction score
For those who might be wondering what that adapter is, it adapts ¾" CPVC to ¾" PEX (crimp or clamp).

That should work fine.

Thanks, Reach. I'm hoping the flexibility of PEX will make it easier to work between the CPVC that's staying in place.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
washer_rough_b.jpg

Both the sink and the washer need to be vented.
A double fixture fitting could also be used if you go with a single vent. You can't raise the drain higher than the outlet of the fitting unless you add a vent to it, or it will siphon the trap.

Houstonian

Reaction score
washer_rough_b.jpg

A double fixture fitting could also be used if you go with a single vent. You can't raise the drain higher than the outlet of the fitting unless you add a vent to it, or it will siphon the trap.

Terry, thanks for the response. Doesn’t look like I’ll have room to loop a vent because of the gas line, so I may be forced to deal with the p-trap taking up a lot of space in the cabinet if I want a sink.

Houstonian

Reaction score
washer_rough_b.jpg

If the drain stays at the height of the fitting, how creative can I get with plumbing in between the sink and the drain? For example, could I elbow at the wall, run the p-trap at that height parallel with the wall along the back of the cabinet, but then go vertical so that most of the drain pipe is in the back rather than the middle of the cabinet?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks