A venting dilemma

Users who are viewing this thread

basmoq7

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200213-175728_Photos.jpg

Hi all, I have a basement unfinished room I'd like to add a shower to. I'll raise the floor to accommodate the shower pan drain. What I'm having difficulty with is determining how to properly vent the shower.

My options are:
  • A- I use the vertical pipe shown as my vent. It goes to the kitchen sink upstairs and is vented just a foot past the sink's P-trap.
  • B- I run a vent up the wall about a foot before the shower drain enters the double fixture tee. This vent would go up where the current sink drain is located and tie into the vent pipe over the bathroom ceiling just behind that electrical panel (very difficult to gain access to that location...). This also would require bringing the sink drain down from an alternate location as it is in the way of venting.
Is option A acceptable?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The kitchen sink upstairs is not a vent. Any vent from the downstairs would need to tie in at 42" above the second floor, which is six inches above the 36" high countertop upstairs.

Or you could plan on using an AAV for the venting downstairs.
It needs to be accessible for replacement when it fails and not be closed in. It needs access to air.

dwv_b2.jpg

basmoq7

Reaction score
Screenshot_20200213-193329_Photos.jpg

Wow, quick reply! Thanks Terry!

One followup question.

Could I relocate the kitchen sink drain to the blue line. Then I'd run a vent line for the shower up over the existing bathroom ceiling where it would tie into the vent servicing the sink/toilet? (Yellow line). I am because I'm specifically concerned about the vent pipe being so close to the drain. Want certain if that would cause a conflict. I don't want to use an air admittance valve simply because no one ever looks at them after install...

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks