50 year old well cap how to remove??

Users who are viewing this thread

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use poly pipe in my 60 foot well. When I pull the pump I don't lay the poly down on the grass, I lay it onto sawhorses. I also wash it with bleach as I am setting it back into the well.

I see a lot of pics on this forum with hundreds of feet of PVC or metal pipe laying in the grass so it would seem a lot of installers are not too concerned about contamination or they wash them one by one as they set the pump.

I use standoffs to keep the wire from chafing against the casing and I use a torque arrestor to keep the pump from flailing about. Mind you I have a 6 inch casing so not worried about little bits falling off and jamming the pump in the hole.

I would be more worried about the pump unscrewing itself from the PVC pipe or the PVC cracking and the water recirculating until it got so hot that the PVC melts where it goes into the pump and the pump falls off, pulls apart the crimps and is lost in the bottom of the well.

In almost 30 yrs I've never, ever seen a pump unscrew off of PVC pipe, nor have I ever seen sch 80 crack or split while installed as drop pipe. Split couplings we see on occasion, but stop and think that our average well is 300' deep, holds about 450 gallons & the water temp is 52-54 degrees. I seriously doubt that you could raise the water temp high enough to deform the pipe. As for crimps pulling apart and losing a pump, if you put your torque arrester over the wires, you won't have that problem. Last month we pulled a 1hp-5 that melted off due to running dry in a dry well, the pump came up because it was installed correctly.

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
In 30 plus years I have never had a submersible pump I've installed come unscrewed. However I have pulled unscrewed pumps out that someone else had installed.

Did have one 5 hp pump I pulled on sch 120 pvc that was loose, you could unscrew it by hand. It had a 2 inch pump discharge, with a pvc 2"x 1 1/4" threaded bushing in the discharge. The 1 1/4" pvc drop pipe was loose in the pvc threaded bushing. I think the wires had kept from unscrewing. It was in a VFD, not that hard of a starting kick either.

The only split couplings I've seen on the PVC pipe has been on the surealign style with the integral female coupler. None of the distributors in my area even carry it any more. I think the problem was installer error though. I think they were over tightening the connections. I've used it on a few wells, but now I only use sch120 with stainless steel couplings.

Yes it could be possible to deadhead a pump or run it out of water and melt the pvc. Haven't had the drop pipe melt. However I've pulled more than one pump that the 4" pvc liner has softened and warped around the pump. What a mess that is to pull.

I've also seen plenty of above ground centrifugal pumps that were plumbed with pvc right off the discharge. If they are left running with no flow,They will heat the water up and soften the pvc enough that it will balloon and finally fail.

I've got a 1 1/2 hp centrifugal pump that I irrigate my yard with. It pumps out of the Irrigation ditch behind the house. It's been accidentally left running with all the lines shut off before. It's got a steel pipe discharge until it goes underground. The pump casing heats up enough you will burn your hand if you touch it. Don't ask me how I know that!

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
In 30 plus years I have never had a submersible pump I've installed come unscrewed. However I have pulled unscrewed pumps out that someone else had installed.

Did have one 5 hp pump I pulled on sch 120 pvc that was loose, you could unscrew it by hand. It had a 2 inch pump discharge, with a pvc 2"x 1 1/4" threaded bushing in the discharge. The 1 1/4" pvc drop pipe was loose in the pvc threaded bushing. I think the wires had kept from unscrewing. It was in a VFD, not that hard of a starting kick either.

The only split couplings I've seen on the PVC pipe has been on the surealign style with the integral female coupler. None of the distributors in my area even carry it any more. I think the problem was installer error though. I think they were over tightening the connections. I've used it on a few wells, but now I only use sch120 with stainless steel couplings.

Yes it could be possible to deadhead a pump or run it out of water and melt the pvc. Haven't had the drop pipe melt. However I've pulled more than one pump that the 4" pvc liner has softened and warped around the pump. What a mess that is to pull.

I've also seen plenty of above ground centrifugal pumps that were plumbed with pvc right off the discharge. If they are left running with no flow,They will heat the water up and soften the pvc enough that it will balloon and finally fail.

I've got a 1 1/2 hp centrifugal pump that I irrigate my yard with. It pumps out of the Irrigation ditch behind the house. It's been accidentally left running with all the lines shut off before. It's got a steel pipe discharge until it goes underground. The pump casing heats up enough you will burn your hand if you touch it. Don't ask me how I know that!

I have a few booster pumps that got hot and melted the inlet pipe. I bought a few Klixxon 120' temperature switches and wire I hot line thru it, taped or clamped to the pump housing. while the motors usually have this switch, typically, the heat dissipates prior to reaching that switch. No more worries on melting the pump when water is restricted.

Bill Enghauser

Reaction score
Back to work after IRMA. Extension to casing done prior to IRMA and latest plumbing done post IRMA.
Waiting on 1 1/4 ID Polyethylene delivery.

Attachments

• pipe extension1.jpg
    pipe extension1.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 388
  • pipeextension 2.jpg
    pipeextension 2.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 410
  • Macho Pipe.jpg
    Macho Pipe.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 416
  • Macho Pipe2.jpg
    Macho Pipe2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 389
  • Post IRMA 1.jpg
    Post IRMA 1.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 353
  • Post IRMA 2.jpg
    Post IRMA 2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 367

Reach4

Reaction score
Protect your white PVC from the sun. Make a cover or paint. Maybe the gray should be protected too. Can't hurt.

Also, there should not be a valve between the pump and the pressure switch. Maybe you could protect that somehow if you don't remove it.

Last edited:

Bill Enghauser

Reaction score
The Gray is PVC
Project update THE WELL IS INSTALLED AND WORKING!!!! 10/28/2017
Used 2 Stainless Steel 1-1/4" Barbed Insert x 1-1/4" Extra Long Male Adapters, combined with 1 1/4" PE NSF PIPE 80' COIL 4710 HD-125 pipe and 3 clamps on each end, 1-1/4 In. 304 Stainless Steel 90 Degree Elbow - FNPT, 1-1/4 In. 304 Stainless Steel Coupling - FNPT, 1-1/4 In. X 5 In. 304 Stainless Steel Pipe Nipple on well head end. Worked Great. Pumping 35 GPM

Bill Enghauser

Reaction score
Last set of pictures
The Gray is PVC
Project update THE WELL IS INSTALLED AND WORKING!!!! 10/28/2017
Used 2 Stainless Steel 1-1/4" Barbed Insert x 1-1/4" Extra Long Male Adapters, combined with 1 1/4" PE NSF PIPE 80' COIL 4710 HD-125 pipe and 3 clamps on each end, 1-1/4 In. 304 Stainless Steel 90 Degree Elbow - FNPT, 1-1/4 In. 304 Stainless Steel Coupling - FNPT, 1-1/4 In. X 5 In. 304 Stainless Steel Pipe Nipple on well head end. Worked Great. Pumping 35 GPM

Attachments

• finito1.jpg
    finito1.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 276
  • finito2.jpg
    finito2.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 296
  • finito3.jpg
    finito3.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 290
  • finito4.jpg
    finito4.jpg