50 Amp Range replaced with oven / cooktop combo

Users who are viewing this thread

SK78

Reaction score
Thank you in advance for your advice...

For a kitchen remodel I am replacing a range which is wired with a 50 Amp circuit an 6 AWG AL wire with a cooktop calling for a 30 Amp circuit and 20 Amp oven which will be installed below the cooktop.

I saw that the code allows these two to be wired on the same circuit, but has a description on how to wire it that I do not exactly understand. How would this connection look, can I join two 10/2 wires (or the pigtails from cooktop and oven) to the 6 AWG with some Polaris IPLG6-3B use them to wire up the two units?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The circuit breaker/fuse is there to protect the wiring, not the device. So, as I understand it, up to the entry of the devices, the wiring must be sized for the circuit involved unless the devices involved say otherwise.

Stuff

Reaction score
Plan is good if a 50 amp circuit as done all the time. Problem is 6 gauge AL is only good for 40 amps if NM or SE.

Exception No.1: Conductors tapped from a 50-ampere
branch circuit supplying electric ranges. wall-mounted
electric ovens, and counter-mounted electric cooking units
shall have an ampacity of not less than 20 amperes and
shall be sufficient for the load to be served. These tap conductors
include any conductors that are a part of the leads
supplied with the appliance that are smaller than the
branch-circuit conductors. The taps shall not be longer
than necessary for servicing the appliance.

SK78

Reaction score
That is how I would have thought of it as well.

However, there is this reference in the code:
Table 220.55 in the NEC, footnote 4:
  1. Branch-Circuit Load. It shall be permissible to calculate the branch-circuit load for one range in accordance with Table 220.55. The branch- circuit load for one wall-mounted oven or one counter-mounted cooking unit shall be the nameplate rating of the appliance. The branch-circuit load for a counter-mounted cooking unit and not more than two wall-mounted ovens. all supplied from a single branch circuit and located in the same room, shall be calculated by adding the nameplate rating of the individual appliances and treating this total as equivalent to one range.
Also Rex Cauldwell in Wiring a House also refers to this and shows a diagram.

So it must be approved, my question then is with the AL wire, would the Polaris connector be permissible and the correct one for the application?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 8,748

Stuff

Reaction score
Article 220 is not normally used for breaker or wire sizing. Read 220.40 - the section is used for the calculation to size feeders or service.

Good point: Those grey Polaris are for copper only. Polaris black connectors are listed for connecting both aluminum and copper wires. Have to be in a junction box, though.

https://www.polarisconnectors.com/pdfs/NSi/IPL_series.pdf

Norcal01

Reaction score
Is the existing circuit a 3-wire or 4-wire feed? If 3-wire you cannot extend it, new feeds will have to be run to comply current requirements, as the 3-wire feeds are only allowed in existing installations, as soon as changes are made it's no longer existing. See NEC art. 250.140

SK78

Reaction score
you are correct Norcal, it is a 3-wire in a home built in 1997. Out of luck I guess. Do you know if there is a way to run a separate conductor to the kitchen rather then replacing the whole wire. Its up in a drop ceiling so I would like to avoid running that heavy 6/3 wire if possible.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It is not code compliant to run a separate ground wire to augment an existing cable. Now, if it were in a conduit using say separate conductions, yes, but not with an existing cable.

SK78

Reaction score
OK, thanks Jim, I guess I will be wrestling an anaconda next weekend.

SK78

Reaction score
One more question, my options to replace the wire are a 6/3 copper or an AL service wire from what I found. Can someone tell me what the correct AL wire designation is that I would need? Is it 6-6-6-6 SER?

Stuff

Reaction score
4-4-4-6 SER AL is good for 55 amps
6-6-6-6 SER Cu is good for 55 amps
6/3 NM-B Cu is good for 55 amps
8/3 MC/AC/THHN in conduit Cu is good for 50 amps

SK78

Reaction score
Thank you!

I had another thought.

The induction cooktop calls for a 30AMP 3 wire circuit.
The new oven is a 20 AMP 4 wire circuit.

Could I use the existing 50 AMP 3 wire for the cooktop and run a new 20 AMP 12/3 for the oven?

Stuff

Reaction score
Repurposing the 6/2 and a running a separate 12/3 should work. The 6/2 would be hot, hot, and ground. You would then need two double pole breakers in your electrical panel.

Technically there might be an issue that the grounding conductor needs upsized. Rule is if the wire is upsized (installing 6 AL instead of needed 8) then you need to upsize the grounding wire proportionately. So if current cable is 6-6-6 you are good but if 6-6-8 it would fail.

Norcal01

Reaction score
Are the new appliances 120/240V or straight 240V? If they do not require a neutral things could be looking up.

BiG_Mackenzie

Reaction score
I am not an expert but a standard kitchen range with four burners and an oven could draw 30, 40, or 50 amps. However, I will advise you to watch the tech blogs where is written about these devices. Before buying something, I take a look all the time on hellodiya blog where you can find more useful information about ovens, washing machines, or other devices. It was a huge help for me when I changed all devices at my home. All works till now without any problems.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks