3 toilets constantly clog

Users who are viewing this thread

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
This one is a little strange to me:
Customer has three toilets in his home and they all three (according to him) clog up at least every other day.
He says that he has to plunge them and then they go down.
They are relatively new (less than ten years) Gerber two-piece with a 2" flapper and a ballcock fill valve.
There is no drain blockage and no vent blockage.
I tried to stop them up using large quaintities of toilet paper but could never get them to back up.

Any ideas?
Has anyone else encountered this?
Is replacing the toilets the answer?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What is being put down them? Hopefully not baby wipes which collect in the trapways. The ten YO Gerber toilets with 2" flush valves were not the best at clearing the bowl though. My go to has been TOTO over the years. Also the newer Kohler toilets, American Standard Cadet series, Gerber with 3" flush valves.
Make sure it isn't a medical issue, larger that normal stools ( 3/4" x 4" ) is normal. For medical issues, I go with Caroma and their 3" trapway and Kohler pressure assist.

A low end way to go for the 99% would be a TOTO Entrada, 3" flush valve and 2-1/8" trapway. Start them with one, and see how they like it.

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
What is being put down them? Hopefully not baby wipes which collect in the trapways. The ten YO Gerber toilets with 2" flush valves were not the best at clearing the bowl though. My go to has been TOTO over the years. Also the newer Kohler toilets, American Standard Cadet series, Gerber with 3" flush valves.
Make sure it isn't a medical issue, larger that normal stools ( 3/4" x 4" ) is normal. For medical issues, I go with Caroma and their 3" trapway and Kohler pressure assist.

A low end way to go for the 99% would be a TOTO Entrada, 3" flush valve and 2-1/8" trapway. Start them with one, and see how they like it.
I was curious about the BM's but was told it happens with everyone.
I did not see any evidence of wipes in any of the bathrooms and the children are older.
I suggested new toilets with a 3" flush valve, suggested Kohler with the flush tower.

I just personally not ever had this happen with three toilets at the same time; he said it has been getting progressively worse over the past few weeks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just personally not ever had this happen with three toilets at the same time; he said it has been getting progressively worse over the past few weeks.

My daughter had bought a new home around 2002 with Mansfield. They plugged up every toilet the weekend they moved in.
The new Kohler would have been better.
Sometimes it's as simple as someone flushing Q-Tips down and they wind up collecting in the trapway. If there is a siphon jet at the bottom of the bowl, those can get clogged.

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
My daughter had bought a new home around 2002 with Mansfield. They plugged up every toilet the weekend they moved in.
The new Kohler would have been better.
Sometimes it's as simple as someone flushing Q-Tips down and they wind up collecting in the trapway. If there is a siphon jet at the bottom of the bowl, those can get clogged.
But all three? Continuously?

They have two full baths upstairs and a half bath downstairs, same problem on all three.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
What do they look like? I pulled this from a home a few years ago. Same plugging issue on these.

maxwell_trapway.jpg

maxwell_inside_tank.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks