3 handle shower not diverting water

Users who are viewing this thread

farmerjim

Reaction score
I have an old price pfister 3 handle shower in the hall bath of my home (circa mid 70's maybe?). The diverter valve does not block flow of water to the tub when the diverter is set to shower. When set to shower there is a healthy stream flowing to the tub and there is diminished flow and pressure to the shower head. When set to tub, no water flows to shower head as designed. I bought the house 3 years ago and it has been this way since we moved in. Comparing the condition of the diverter valve to the faucet valves I would guess the diverter has been replaced at some point.

I have replaced the valve seat and the washer with no change in operation. I pulled the valve again and I can see an impression of the valve seat on the rubber washer. There is no scale or build up in or on the valve and I cant see any build up on the parts inside the wall. There isn't any other replaceable parts on this valve....

Why am I still getting water out of my tub spout while in shower mode?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
pp_three_handle_stems.jpg

The diverter in the middle needs the plastic washer that is loose between the body of the stem and the parts that threads in and out.
If you thread that out a bit, you see that it's a loose washer that moves between the open space there.
In this picture, it's the white plastic that the outside stems don't have. Not the circles below, those are seals for the stems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks