Leak above shower valve...between the pipe and the valve

Users who are viewing this thread

Hudson

Reaction score
I bought a replacement washer at Lowes, a Danco 80925.
I put 2-3 turns of grey teflon tape and tightened it finger tight.
It leaked.
I gave it 1/8 turn with a wrench.
It still leaked.
I took it off. The washer had gone into the pipe and wasn't working.
The guy at the plumber supply said to forget the washer, tape it again and tighten.
It still leaked.
I speculate that the washer is too small?

Note the "valve" is actually a Delta 3-Way Water Diverter; the leak is where it attaches to the pipe coming out of the wall. The diverter switches between a shower head and a hand shower.

Last edited:

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Hard to follow your description. Where is the joint that is leaking, showerhead, spout, in the wall at the diverter valve? Pictures would help.

Hudson

Reaction score
Thanks for asking. The leak wasn't where I thought it was. The leak was down lower in the diverter where the arrow is.
The connection near the pink tape was surprisingly dry even though there was no washer...just Teflon tape.
Bottom line: leak is at arrow.
Replace diverter?

Attachments

• shower delta leak is here.jpg
    shower delta leak is here.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 46

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its difficult to say how that particular device is sealed without knowing exactly the model. Some seal with teflon on the threads but most seal with a washer that is sandwiched between the shower arm and the showerhead(or whatever device). Sometimes the washers arent thick enough to make full contact and lack compression, or often times the shower arm is too thin to actually compress the washer and the washer ends up inside the shower arm.

Hudson

Reaction score
Thanks Tuttles Revenge!
The shower arm is to thin; the washer did go inside the pipe.
I replaced the washer with just teflon tape...no washer.
Now it doesn't leak above the washer, but down below where the arrow points in the picture.
I ordered these rubber washers because I speculate that they are larger and might still fit?

uxcell Rubber Flat Washers 20mm OD 10mm ID 3mm Thickness​

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Jeff mentioned that because this model doesn't use the threads to seal. It uses the washer to compress the washer between 2 flat surfaces. Likely a thicker walled shower arm is the thing that will ultimately fix the issue. Tho sometimes you can apply Just Enuf pressure to stop the drip before the washer sinks into the tube.

Hudson

Reaction score
Jeff mentioned that because this model doesn't use the threads to seal. It uses the washer to compress the washer between 2 flat surfaces. Likely a thicker walled shower arm is the thing that will ultimately fix the issue. Tho sometimes you can apply Just Enuf pressure to stop the drip before the washer sinks into the tube.
"Thicker walled shower arm" That make sense. I guess that takes a plumber going inside the wall? Is there an adapter or a cheat method of some kind. I'll try the wider rubber washer when it comes in.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
The shower arm is just threaded into a fitting behind the wall. No opening of the wall should be necessary

Hudson

Reaction score
Success!
The uxcell "Rubber Flat Washers 20mm OD 10mm ID 3mm Thickness" worked.
I removed the teflon tape.
The washer did not fit easily, I had to push it down with the back of my knife.

Bottom Line: The thin wall shower arm was the problem allowing the washer to slide inside.
An oversized washer fixed the problem.
Thanks to all!

Attachments

• now leak free using a 20mm washer instead of a 19mm.JPG
    now leak free using a 20mm washer instead of a 19mm.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 35
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks