3/8" Chrome nipple feeds on 1/2 copper pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

55Matt

Reaction score
I'm installing a pedestal sink that will have exposed water supply feeds and shut off valves. Since the valves and supply pipe will be visible I want to make things pretty and planned to use 3/8" chrome plated nipples (brass or iron pipe) going to 90 degree 1/4 turn chrome (3/8 pipe - 3/8 compression ) supply shut off valves. I have gutted the room so everything is accessible. Previously the shut off valves were compression fit onto copper pipes, but that's not very pretty. All of my plumbing is 1/2" copper pipe. I located a 1/2 copper to 3/8" FIPS female reducing adapter. The adapter has a hex on the female pipe thread end. Should I position it so the hex protrudes just slightly away from the finished wallboard/tile so that a wrench can hold it in position while tightening the chrome nipple and then cover it with a chrome flange cover? What is the preferred method to go from 1/2 copper pipe to a female pipe thread for chrome water supply feeds?

The adapter I found is solid copper. I have not been able to locate this size in cast brass. Would a cast brass adapter would be a little softer and less likely to crack? I can find 1/2 copper to 1/2 FIPS female reducing adapters in cast brass. Would using 1/2 nipples threaded into cast brass be a more reliable joint? I know brass has a little lead in it, but if I let the water run for a few seconds before brushing my teeth I'm not real concerned.

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
1/2"copper x 3/8 IPS drop ear ell is I like to use as you can anchor it to a board behind the and it makes it solid and easier to twist you nipple in nice and tight.

Attachments

• lug ell.jpg
    lug ell.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 252

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally we would use a drop ear 90 that is backed in the wall. I noticed that in Virginia they did that with 3/8"
On the West Coast everything is 1/2"

55Matt

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. Good idea of screwing it in place so it can't move. More searching and I did find a 1/2 C to 3/8 pipe thread cast copper drop ear here: https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/71762090 1/2" pipe thread drop ears are easy to find so I'll probably use 1/2" nipples instead of 3/8. All the shutoff valves use 3/8 compression from the valve to the faucet so I thought 1/2" nipples were overkill, but I am all for whatever is easiest. Pulling tub out tomorrow morning.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks