3/4" main supply, 1/2" pipe to bathroom, but fixture is 3/4"

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert A.

Reaction score
I have 3/4" copper supply to the house with 1/2" branches to two bathrooms & the kitchen. A new shower fixture has 3/4" inlets. What kind of trouble, if any, would I be in for if I adapt the 1/2" supplies to this 3/4" fixture?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It depends on how much output you need. The Hansgrohe I-Box has 3/4" inputs, but if you're just running a shower head and tub spout, then 1/2" is fine.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
1/2" copper in hot should not be asked to supply more than 4gpm. When you add in some cold to temper the hot, most 1/2" valves are limited to about 6gpm, but a 3/4" one typically can supply nearly twice as much if you need it when supplied by 3/4" lines.

isotope

Reaction score
I've seen this situation arise a few times where the fixture is larger than the stub out from the wall. In this case, it appears that the fixture is 3/4", but the stub out is only 1/2".

Which begs the question... Wouldn't it be prudent to just stub everything out to 3/4" in new construction for everything? You could always drop down to 1/2" or whatever after the stub out. This way you are sort of future proofing the construction so that if advances in fixtures in later years require a larger supply, such as in this case, then you would still be ok. What do you guys think about just doing rough-in for everything stubbed out to 3/4"?

Reach4

Reaction score
What do you guys think about just doing rough-in for everything stubbed out to 3/4"?
I am not a pro. I think that would not be a good idea for hot water stub-outs, particularly for a lavatory, because 3/4 is about double the volume for a given length. Thus you would wait twice as long for hot water, and you would put twice as much water down the drain before the hot arrives.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It could make sense on potential high volume points of use, but otherwise, it's probably an unnecessary expense, and as said above, it will take longer to purge the room temp water out of the hot line before you get hot there unless you have a recirculation system. A common recommendation would be to run 3/4" to the bathroom group, then branch off. Depending on the layout, it might make tapping the 3/4" line fairly simple if you needed higher volume.

Rdura

Reaction score
My plumber left me a 3/4 inch stub 0ut for the shower head. Am I correct in thinking most shower heads and arms are 1/2 inch, and therefore, I should be looking to purchase a 1/2 shower arm and a 1/2 female to 3/4 male brass fitting.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
most shower heads and tub spouts? I'd say around 99.9 percent are 1/2" don't know exactly what you got going on but 3/4 is for higher flow.

Rdura

Reaction score
I think I goofed in thinking the threaded stub is 3/4, the outside diameter exceeded .75 so I incorrectly assumed it's 3/4.

Rdura

Reaction score
I have an external shower plumbed, the only thing missing is the shower arm and shower head. I will be using oiled bronze hansgrohe valve trim. My goal is to make the arm and head look old/weathered as my area is rustic, the architecture is rustic, and I don't want something shiny/interior-ish to stand out like a sore thumb. I'd rather have the shower not catch the eye - the arm/head will be the only visible component, as the valve trim and outdoor "pan" are obscured by four foot shrubs. I won't use a drain as there is plenty of room for the water to run off and it will benefit the foliage. I'm seeking suggestions for the arm/head. One thought is PVC, and paint it the same color as the structure's stucco wall. Another is brass, another is copper, which I think would patina nicely outdoors. Of course all of these are straight pipes, and I need an angle to direct the shower head flow. Would 3/4 copper with a 1/2 inch threaded fitting on each end work? On the shower head end of the pipe I could solder in a 45 degree fitting. As for the shower head, perhaps an inexpensive plastic one, painted the same color as the stucco? I can always replace it if it does not weather well outdoors.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would use copper because PVC should be protected from long term sun. However you could protect pvc with latex paint as an alternative. You are already planning to paint the showerhead.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
11.98 sounds reasonable . but you could paint something up maybe you want a more industrial look for out doors

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks