3/4 copper stub..need a tub spout diverter that will slip on

Users who are viewing this thread

miller man

Reaction score
Removed old tub spout which needed to be sawed off due to corrosion. I'm left with a 3/4 copper non threaded stub, only about 2 inches long from tile. I know it's not 1/2 as the standard slip on spouts won't fit , they made for 1/2. My question is can I (without soddering) adapt to 1/2 or buy a spout for 3/4 slip on? Just trying to make it work ... I don't see any spouts that offer 3/4 slip on -only screw on. Thanks..

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your ONLY option is to solder a 3/4 x 1/2" reducer on the stub then use a piece of 1/2' with a male adapter for the spout. A slip on will NOT work.

miller man

Reaction score
Right, actually that is what was there before. My problem w that idea is I'm afraid the same thing will happen (due to the high amount of deposits in my towns water ) that the male screw on will get binded to the tub spout threads as it did before then I have to cut it again or risk twisting the copper pipe when I go to untwist it. The other tub in my house I had to replace the spout only 1 1/2 yr later because of the deposits making the diverter not work.

Reach4

Reaction score
1. Consider a higher quality diverter:
Delta Faucet RP17454 Tub Spout Pull-Down Diverter, Chrome
(RP17453 is same but plastic) If you need to replace that later, the adapter can stay in place and a new spout can screw onto the adapter.

2. You really would like the effects of a water softener.

delta-rp17453-terrylove-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

miller man

Reaction score
Yes, I need the softener and its on my to do list.
Do you mean the adapter that comes with the delta spout? Or do you mean I have to add the 1/2 threaded copper male to end of pipe first ? ( "that adapter?)"Don't mind having the plumber do his thing just wanted to do it myself if I could find a way that works. Thanks

miller man

Reaction score
I guess you mean that if I buy a better quality spout it will not get gunked up as easily .. And I can do the 1/2 thread soddered and add water softener and I should be able to unscrew it next time? I assume I should maybe try to keep the end clean w a lil clr once in a while to prevent buildup on diverter area..

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, I meant the adapter that comes with the spout. That can be attached 2 ways: solder to 1/2 inch copper, or screwed to 1/2 inch brass nipple.

https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/delta-rp17453-single-spout-tub-diverter.41762/

http://answers.deltafaucet.com/answ...l-up-diverter-questions-answers/questions.htm says "When sweating on Delta Faucet model # RP61269, you will cut the tubing 2"-4" from the finished wall. After brazing, the adapter will be 1/4"-1/2" from the finished wall."

My notes say "
Thread onto 1/2" IPS nipple - 5/8" to 1-5/8" from wall surface
Sweat onto 1/2" CWT - 1/4" to 1" from wall surface"

I used a nipple. While a 3 or 4 inch nipple would have worked probably, 3-1/2 put the length right in the center of its adjustment. I could not find that in brass quickly, so I went galvanized. Mistake. Was getting dollop of rust when I would turn the faucet on. Ordered the brass nipple, and rust was gone.

Clearly for the copper tubing, that refers to the back of the adapter. That should give an idea of how your adapter to 1/2 copper would have to be.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That series of Delta tub spouts seal to the spout with an o-ring...the threads just hold the spout in place and should never see water. I put one in my mother's house about 6-years ago...looks and works fine with her hard water. If you have guests...you might need to tell them how to turn on the shower, though!

What's the OD of the pipe behind that adapter? Sort of looks like it may be just a coupling, and would unsolder from the pipe. 1/2" copper pipe is 5/8" OD...sort of looks like it's standard 1/2" copper.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks