Minor dent in bathtub spout copper pipe ok?

Users who are viewing this thread

edsmith1875

Reaction score
I was replacing a slip-on bathtub spout with a broken o-ring and noticed that the underside of the copper pipe has a minor dent from a set screw (pictured).

It's about 1 inch from a tiled wall (really can't afford to break the tile..) Inside the copper pipe looks fine without dents from what I can see and water flows from the copper pipe fine without any leaks.

Is it ok to put on a new slip-on spout just the way it is?? If I need to call a plumber, what do I ask for him to do? Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 74

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Depends on where the o ring is on your spout. Stubbed out copper tube is the worst way to plumb a spout.
Good practice in my book is to stub out ips from a drop ear fitting, of course, no help to you.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
quicker , cheaper , to stub out in copper , agree its not as good nvery common way to plumb though agree on the dent location is the deciding factor on whether the copper stub is ok

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks