1987 Moen Shower Valve

Users who are viewing this thread

rcspott

Reaction score
Just bought a home that was built in 1987. Shower has a Moen valve. When we use any other sink/water in the house shower water temp changes drastically. Can a new stem convert the valve to a Posi Temp/Pressure Control valve or does the whole shower valve need to be updated? Thanks

KaeEdwardPlumbing.com

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hello there,

For clarification: I'm not certain what "water temp changes drastically" is meant to imply. Is this Hot water, or Cold water that you're losing?
How many Fixtures do you usually turn on for this effect to happen & does it require your Moen Valve in use? Can you use other shower valves in your home without issues?

rcspott

Reaction score
While showering if someone else in the house uses water the temperature of the shower water changes. The water gets hotter if someone uses the kitchen sink. In 1987 had Moen come out with the pressure balanced valves?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
In 1987 you most likely have the old Moen valve that was not balanced. I would replace the valve, not the cartridge.
In my mothers home I replaced all three. Nothing worse than standing in a 36" x 36" shower while someone uses the kitchen sink in the other room, cold, hot, cold, hot. Nope! I'm replacing this with something pressure balanced.,

Without touching the shower valve, you can make sure there is an expansion tank for your home. That also helps with pressure drops.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks