12/4 to run constant and switched receptacles in 2 gang boxes

Users who are viewing this thread

pex006

Reaction score
Hi could I use 12-4 to have one constant hot duplex receptacle and one split switched receptacle controlled by 2 switches in the same 2 gang box? Any problems with doing this?

View attachment 24145

Attachments

• 12-4 switched and constant receptacles.jpg
    12-4 switched and constant receptacles.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 1,076
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Your diagram looks like a ball of yarn. I do not see any outlets which are NOT being switched, even though the original question was about "unswitched" receptacles. What is the "switch" on top with the 12/2 connected to it doing?

pex006

Reaction score
Here is a revised diagram. I have to use a junction box because the walls are narrow and there are channels for only one cable to the boxes. All the other constant receptacles to meet code are accounted for on another circuit. Does this look correct? Any problems with this concept?
Final wiring concept.jpg

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It still looks like one of Johnny Carson's maps. The only thing missing is the "fork in the road". IT appears that you are using a 12-4 between the switches for a pair of 3 way travelers. and a single pole switch. These switches seem to be controlling a multiplicity of outlets. It may have to be a very large "J" box to handle all those (20) wires.

pex006

Reaction score
It still looks like one of Johnny Carson's maps. The only thing missing is the "fork in the road".

Your hilarious! That one gave me a good laugh! I'll have to rethink it and try to come up with something a little less complicated for switching these receptacles or just switch one overhead light instead.

Reach4

Reaction score
Not a pro, but it looks OK to me.

Consider having at least some of the outlet boxes with 4 inch boxes to give 3 unswitched outlets and 1 switched in the box.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; Consider having at least some of the outlet boxes with 4 inch boxes to give 3 unswitched outlets and 1 switched in the box.

They will ALL have to be 4" square boxes because they are all "live duplex" and TWO switched outlets IF he used "Despard' modular then he could have a live and two switched ones in a standard 'handy box" if he could figure out how to jam all the wires in to it.

pex006

Reaction score
One more question. I was going to use 12-4 since these are switched receptacles, but would 14-4 be acceptable? This is all that will be on this circuit. There are other constant outlets in the room that are on other circuits and the electric fireplace has a dedicated circuit.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks