1/2 or 3/4 PEX for a pipe feeding a washing machine and tub/shower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Canada_DIY_Plumber

Reaction score
I'm doing a bathroom reno and adding a washer/dryer. The pipe feeding the bathroom is a mix of 1/2" copper and 3/4" PEX. It enters the bathroom as 3/4 PEX and I am installing two shut-off valves in an access panel for the whole bathroom. After these shut-off valves, I need go up into the attic and then down into a plumbing wall to feed the washing machine and a tub/shower. I will feed the lav and toilet using a 1/2" PEX branch.

My options for the run to the washing machine and tub/shower plumbing wall:
A) 3/4" PEX and then split off to 1/2" PEX inside the plumbing wall for the washing machine and shower.
B) 1/2" PEX to the plumbing wall and to each fixture.
C) Two separate 1/2" PEX lines from the shut-off valve that go up through the attic to the washer/dryer and the tub/shower.

My thought process:
This space is for seasonal use only and will often go unoccupied for weeks or months. I like having one line to the plumbing wall that supplies the washer and tub/shower because then I can run the tub for a few minutes to thoroughly flush out most of that line after it has gone unused for a long period of time.

Given that, running 3/4 seems wise because I imagine a 1/2 line would be more susceptible to dramatic pressure drops if someone is running a load of laundry while having a shower (even with the fancy pressure balancing valves of today.)

Aside from a negligible increase in cost, the downside is that the 3/4 line will take longer to supply hot water for the shower in the morning.

I'm leaning to option A but would appreciate any second set of eyes.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
water-sizing-chart-terrylove-40-60.jpg

The chart for PEX below.

ipc_water_size_50.jpg

Canada_DIY_Plumber

Reaction score
Thanks. In that second chart...
I will have 6 fixture units for this run (shower + clothes washer).
So it looks like it is saying my developed length will need to be less than 40 feet if I go with 1/2" and could be more than 40 feet if I go with 3/4"?
This stuff will probably be within 30 feet developed length of the entry to the house.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks