1/2" Female NPT Drop ear thread question

Users who are viewing this thread

Fondupot

Reaction score
Ok, so I am working on a parts list for a walk in shower project.

The drop ear fitting I want to buy is said to have 1/2" Female NPT threads on it. The one I want is a Sharkbite product...found here: http://www.sharkbite.com/product/drop-ear-elbows-2/

I bought a Moen shower kit that comes with the valve, shower arm and shower head. The shower arm is said to be 1/2" IPS. This is the exact one I bought. http://www.moen.com/products/Adler/Adler_Chrome_PosiTempR_shower_only/82604

Will the 1/2" IPS shower arm thread into the 1/2" Female NPT fitting? I have been trying to find an answer for this all day. Thanks

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 1/2" female works with 1/2" shower arms. I have no problem with that.

Not good for tub spouts. They restrict too much on tub spouts which forces water up to the shower head.

Fondupot

Reaction score
The 1/2" female works with 1/2" shower arms. I have no problem with that.

Not good for tub spouts. They restrict too much on tub spouts which forces water up to the shower head.

Wont have a tub spout. Shower head only. It's a walk in shower stall.

Upon further investigation. The Moen shower valve seems to have tapered threads on the connections. And the one side of the shower arm looks like the threads are also tapered. Why Moen says they are IPS and not NPT is beyond me.

Fondupot

Reaction score
Yea, I've read that thread. However, it doesn't really answer the question definitively though. Just some vague "I think I'm ok" replies.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks