1 1/4 male ABS hookup for vanity?

Users who are viewing this thread

amanfromthere

Reaction score
an into a bit of an issue while replacing my vanity, not sure what the best way to handle it is. For reference, it's the RÄTTVIKEN from ikea.

Coming out from the wall is a 1 1/4 ABS male adapter which I've never seen before. I cannot for the life of me find an adapter to let me connect to the 1 1/2" plastic pipe that comes with the sink. A 1 1/4" PVC coupling will thread right on, but is that allowable? Even so, I'd need another reducing trap adapter after that, so I'm sticking out of the wall a fair amount already.

What's the best way to go about this?

Thanks

lNdPJ8b.jpg

ikea-drain.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think it's a 1-1/2" ABS x 1-1/4" SJ adapter, and you are missing the 1-1/4" SJ nut:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/NIBCO-1...ub-x-SJ-Trap-Adapter-C58017HD112114/100348302

If that's correct, you'd use it with 1-1/4" tubular trap and trap arm. If your new vanity sink really has a 1-1/2" tailpiece, I believe it would be permitted to reduce the tailpiece to 1-1/4" before entering the trap. If I'm mistaken and that's not permitted, then the only way to work with a 1-1/2" sink tailpiece would be to open up the wall and change the fitting in your picture to a 1-1/2" trap adapter.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
if you live out in sticks order online . or go to a parts house and buy it. sometimes everything isnt at walmart or home depot. gotta think outside the big box store sometimes. hardware store, plumbing supply,

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Ikea sometimes comes with a lav drain that requires the 1.5" drain.
You have 1.5" at the wall that has been reduced with a 1.5" to 1.25" trap adapter. A fix would be to cut that back and drill out the pipe in the fitting behind with a pipe reamer bit and glue in a 1.5" trap adapter.

cut-back-trap-adapter-2.jpg

p-trap_with_adapter.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ikea sometimes comes with a lav drain that requires the 1.5" drain.
So if the lavatory itself requires a 1-1/2" tailpiece, is it permissible to reduce to 1-1/4" in the tailpiece before hitting the trap? E.g. with a 1-1/2" SJ x 1-1/2" SJ coupling and a bell reducer like this:

https://www.amazon.com/LASCO-03-4251-Plastic-Tubular-Reducer/dp/B000FSVYS4/

I know reducing in size after the trap is not allowed, but I was under the impression that it's OK on the vertical before the trap. Like in jurisdictions that allowed 1-1/2" for the shower fixture drain, using a normal 2" shower drain and reducing it to 1-1/2" before the trap.

Thanks,
Wayne

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
i guess OP just put a drawing up. didnt see it yesterday. good point wayne a lav requires 1 1/4 but supplied tailpiece is 1 1/2 so most likely illegal to reduce so hog out the fitting . as Terry pointed out

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I added the picture from the Ikea web site. I've installed a few of these. The first ones had the standard 1.25" tailpiece and then they started making them 1.5".
They supply a 1.5" p-trap for them now which comes out from the wall much closer so that they don't hit the sliding drawers.

And don't forget to trim the p-trap arm that fits toward the wall. They make them longer than you would normally use.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
So if the lavatory itself requires a 1-1/2" tailpiece, is it permissible to reduce to 1-1/4" in the tailpiece before hitting the trap? E.g. with a 1-1/2" SJ x 1-1/2" SJ coupling and a bell reducer like this:

Wayne, You got me thinking about something , that never dawned on me befor. (slightly off this topic) Often times on long trap arms like kitchens or bath tub we will run a larger trap arm and larger Trap. Usually its a 2 inch trap arm and 2 inch trap Ive never put a 1 1/2 trap in this case because as I thought a trap must never be smaller than trap arm.
But I have used the 1 1/4 traps on a 1 1/2 trap arm just dawned on me that would be illegal to do even on a Lav. So technicaly his Lav was not legal befor

I know reducing in size after the trap is not allowed, but I was under the impression that it's OK on the vertical before the trap. Like in jurisdictions that allowed 1-1/2" for the shower fixture drain, using a normal 2" shower drain and reducing it to 1-1/2" before the trap.

Thanks,
Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks