1 1/4" drain to 1 1/2" wall inlet

Users who are viewing this thread

Fubar411

Reaction score
I'm putting in a new lavatory sink. The sink has a 1 1/4" drain and the wall has a 1 1/2" inlet. What is the best way to do this? I bought a new 1 1/2" P trap, but the 1 1/4" drain seems to float in it.

Obviously, L0wes was not much help. I will be hitting a plumbing supply store tomorrow.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
If you are using ABS pipe and fittings, you can pick up a 1 1/4 x 1 1/2 trap adaptor. The 1 1/4 side is a slip fit compression that fits over your 1 1/4 P.O. plug (Tailpiece)

Fubar411

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I assume this isn't a normal L0wes item, but I can get it at a plumbing supply store?

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Very standard product found just about any plumbing store , hardware store, lowes or HD

The key at Big Box is finding someone that knows what they are and knows in what illogical location they would be at.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
The key at Big Box is finding someone that knows what they are and knows in what illogical location they would be at.

Very true, I guess it makes it easier when you know what you are looking for and you don't have to ask for help from the associates :D :D

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Plumbers typically buy 1.5" pvc p-traps with ABS trap adapters, and both the 1.5" and 1.5x1.25" slip joint washer in the bag together.

You should be able to get the 1.5" x 1.25" washer at the big box too.

Nice about being a plumbing and buying from plumbing supply's and not big boxes,
We get what "we" like to use
They don't put gummy stickers on everything.
The quality is better.

Fubar411

Reaction score
Thanks. It turns out I was using the right adapter all along. I was somewhat concerned as it didn't seem airtight (new pvc, I did a "blow" test, no jokes please!)

Worked out great.

So for a lav sink, do you usually stub out a 1 1/2" or 1 1/4" screw adapter?

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
. Code calls for 1-1/2 in the wall.
The codes in my area call for 1 1/4" through wall for a wash basin. Plumbers use 1 1/2" because its 1/3 the price per fitting.

1-1/4" fittings cost 3 times more in my area than the 1-1/2" fittings

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Thanks. It turns out I was using the right adapter all along. I was somewhat concerned as it didn't seem airtight (new pvc, I did a "blow" test, no jokes please!)

Not a joke, but a question ... did you put your mouth on the open sanitary sewer pipe? :eek:

audioman81

Reaction score
I'm putting in a new lavatory sink. The sink has a 1 1/4" drain and the wall has a 1 1/2" inlet. What is the best way to do this? I bought a new 1 1/2" P trap, but the 1 1/4" drain seems to float in it.

Obviously, L0wes was not much help. I will be hitting a plumbing supply store tomorrow.

I am having a similar problem, but no matter what i do it always leaks.

I have 1 1/4" sink drain and 1 1/4" pipe sticking out of the wall.

because of the odd height angle and hight difference of my new cabinet and sink i have to use an acordion p trap but they only come in 1 1/2" so I used the adapter plastic rings and no matter what i do it leaks from the adapter to pipe in the wall. I tried leaving tightening it with a pipe wrench a little at a time till the plastic was stripped. tried a different one leaving it somewhat loose. I tried putting some rubber o rings on before the adapter ring. and i tried calking it with silicone and no matter what it always leaks.
I cant adapt from 1 1/2" to 1 1/4" and not have it leak. is there anything else i can do? Im about ready to take a hacksaw to the wall and replace all the pipe because i dont know what else to do.
please help!
Ryan

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

They don't put gummy stickers on everything.

Especially on the spigot of street fittings and bushings. Audion man, it is trying to tell you something, namely do not use that trap. Find a way to use conventional fittings to get the trap to line up properly.

audioman81

Reaction score
it wont work with a normal trap because the sink drain is too close to the wall. the only other way i can do it without the accordian trap is to go to the side and use a 45 or two 90's to get back to the wall, but they dont make those in 1 1/4" either so it still leaks from the last elbow to the 1 1/4" pipe coming out of the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks