Kitchen sink vent and cleanout

Users who are viewing this thread

Ryanfornkohl

Reaction score
I am installing a kitchen sink under a window. I have roughed in the drain at 14". It is connected with a 1.5" trap arm. The trap is connected to a san tee. The drain is 2" and drops below to the basement w/ a long sweep 90. This horizontal drain runs 19' and turns 90 w/ a long sweep 90 and runs 8' into a 45 wye and finally into the stack.

Above the kitchen sink san tee is a 1.5" vent that runs 45 degrees until reaching 6" above flood level. The 1.5" vent will increase to 2" before exiting roof.

My questions:

1. Considering the total horizontal distance from drain to stack is 27', does this require an additional vent connected midway along horizontal drain? A person told me that it did and stated this as being a "revent". So in essence it would have two vents.

2. The horizontal drain is located up against the subfloor and strapped to the joists with galvanized two hole straps and drops 1/4" per ft. What type of cleanout is appropriate under these conditions? 45 wye or the test tees? Neither can be installed vertically because the top of drain pipe is all the way to bottom of subfloor. Is it ok to install these with access points facing down or sideways vs pointing up? Ppointing down doesnt seem logical as waste could collect. Article 707.4 states that "Each horizontal drainage pipe shall be provided with a cleanout at its upper terminal...". Does upper terminal mean the vertical pipe thats connected to horizontal drain? I dont understand the reference "upper terminal".

On the topic of cleanouts on a kitchen sink...Is the san tee not adequate for a cleanout? The trap is not required to be hardpiped, AHJ says it can be slip joints. Should test tee be installed below kitchen san tee drain? Doesnt make sense to me to have two access points?

Any and all guidance much appreciated. Thanks!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Normally you have a 2" cleanout at the kitchen sink. That can be with a 2" santee or a 2" test tee.
Cleanouts are also found at base of stacks downstairs. I would not point a cleanout downward, as you say it would be a catching point.
Depending on how things are run, an end of line cleanout could do the entire home. Most of the time you have more though. Anything that is farther than six feet from a cleaned line on the lowest floor gets a cleanout.

Ryanfornkohl

Reaction score
Normally you have a 2" cleanout at the kitchen sink. That can be with a 2" santee or a 2" test tee.
Cleanouts are also found at base of stacks downstairs. I would not point a cleanout downward, as you say it would be a catching point.
Depending on how things are run, an end of line cleanout could do the entire home. Most of the time you have more though. Anything that is farther than six feet from a cleaned line on the lowest floor gets a cleanout.

Are you saying that the san tee should be 2 x 1.5 x 2 if san tee is used as a cleanout? Meaning the 1.5 points towards ceiling for vent?

Does a 2 x 1.5 x 1.5 not work? I thought trap arm was 1.5 for kitchen sink?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The trap arm for a sink is 1.5", unless you also are using it as a cleanout.
My inspectors want to see a 2" cleanout on a kitchen sink, not a 1-1/2".
If I'm trap arm over to the sink, and I don't have an accessible cleanout already located, then I have when needed added a 2" to the trap arm and reduced after that for the sink.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks