Search results

1. ml1337

Re-solder very close to other fittings

I have a ball valve leak at the sweat joint and I would like to desolder the leaky side, clean it up and solder it back. It's in series with a lot of other fittings, which are very close together (1 inch of distance between fittings only). I would like to avoid taking everything apart... Is it...
  2. ml1337

Shortening copper pipe

I'm a DIY'er, beginner in plumbing. Is there a trick to cutting a very short amount of copper pipe, in order to line up a fitting? Whenever I try to cut say 1/16, I can't seem to keep the cutting tool at that exact location, and it ends up shifting further in as I make turns around the pipe...
  3. ml1337

Softener Air gap fitting recommendation?

Good job! Enjoy the soft water! I haven't started this project yet, will post when I'm done.
  4. ml1337

I'm sure the sharkbites work, but my concern is the long term reliability. For sure you will have to change your water heater before the ring goes bad, but for other more permanent connections I'm not sold... As for AAV, I'm actually the opposite and I think they should be OK. I too saw the...
  5. ml1337

I hear you and felt the same way at first, but after much research and self-education I'm getting very comfortable with this. I'm planning on building the entire standpipe system first, and I will then cut into my main sewer line (4 inches), and attach the built standpipe system with mission...
  6. ml1337

Yes I also had the same reflection. Glad I could help someone.
  7. ml1337

Can big blue filters be installed upside down?

Weird question: can someone confirm or not that BB sumps can be installed upside down without detrimental effects (other than messier filter changes, if that)? Specifically for a sediment filter application. I saw it somewhere that you could, but I'm not finding the manual to check on that. I...
  8. ml1337

My standpipe is going to be 2''. In the page you linked from Impact I see a couple DLA models, they are the ones that glue directly onto the pipe. The one I selected (same brand) has threads and a barb fitting included. You glue a threaded adapter to the pipe and then you screw in the air gap...
  9. ml1337

Yeah wish Menards was in PA. I read that the model you linked has some splashes and it doesn't look like it's very secure. I'm looking at this one https://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-1864-dla-g-airgap-15-pvc-sch40-airgap-15-pvc-sch40-12-id-barb.aspx They have a PVC or ABS version. My standpipe...
  10. ml1337

Looking for recommendations on a decent air gap fitting for my softener discharge. There are tons of options online (they are hard to find at Blowes and Home Despot), not sure which ones are more "industry recommended". I'm planning on using a 2'' standpipe. Thanks
  11. ml1337

Softener recommendation

So how do I ensure I get the good stuff for a DIY install? What do you think of these guys http://www.602abcwater.com I'm leaning towards this one: https://602abcwater.com/collections/water-softeners-1/products/abcwaters-elite-high-flow-1-48k-water-softener-system-with-digital-touch-screen...
  12. ml1337

Softener recommendation

Thank you for your answer. I found it here: https://www.midatlanticwater.net/shop/residential-water-softeners/fleck-5810sxt-demand-water-softener This valve looks to be quite a bit more than the 5600SXT, the price is almost on par with a 9100SXT twin tank delivered to my door. What does it do...
  13. ml1337

Softener recommendation

Hello, I would like to ask your kind help in picking a proper softener for my family of 3 (soon to be 4). I'm going to try to keep this as factual as possible: - Location: SE PA - Occupants: 2 adults and 2 small kids - Bathrooms: 3.5 - Average Water Usage: 2,000 to 3,000 gallons - City water -...
  14. ml1337

Standpipe for softener needs vent?

I'm in the market for a softener and have discussed options with professional installers. One of them told me that he was going to install a standpipe and a p-trap off my main 4'' drain pipe in the basement (photo attached). I asked him what he had planned for venting this trap, since the...
  15. ml1337

Purchased 5600SXT - Should I Not Install It?

I'm a little surprised by the information in this thread that the 5600SXT might be outdated. I was about to pull the trigger on one. Anyone has more info about this or is it just hearsay? I have 1 inch copper if that matters.
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks