Can big blue filters be installed upside down?

Users who are viewing this thread

ml1337

Reaction score
Weird question: can someone confirm or not that BB sumps can be installed upside down without detrimental effects (other than messier filter changes, if that)? Specifically for a sediment filter application. I saw it somewhere that you could, but I'm not finding the manual to check on that. I guess the air release valve might have trouble working.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Weird question: can someone confirm or not that BB sumps can be installed upside down without detrimental effects (other than messier filter changes, if that)? Specifically for a sediment filter application. I saw it somewhere that you could, but I'm not finding the manual to check on that. I guess the air release valve might have trouble working.
That is a pressure release, so that would work.

Changing the cartridge would indeed be messy.

I am thinking you could get the cartridge to center OK. However I think there must be a better way than having the sump sticking up.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Sounds like you maybe need 2 drains - one for bleed air on the top, another one to drain excess sediment out the bottom?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks