Softener recommendation

Users who are viewing this thread

ml1337

Reaction score
Hello, I would like to ask your kind help in picking a proper softener for my family of 3 (soon to be 4). I'm going to try to keep this as factual as possible:

- Occupants: 2 adults and 2 small kids
- Bathrooms: 3.5
- Average Water Usage: 2,000 to 3,000 gallons
- City water
- Hardness: 7
- Iron: 0
- PH: 7.4
- TDS: 153
- Total Chlorine: 0
- Free Chlorine: > 0.1
- Supply: 1'' copper
- Drain: 4'' PVC
- Installation Location: Unfinished basement (no plan to finish). See attached pic for planned location. It's right next to the entry point of the supply pipe and the exit point of the waste pipe.

I'm leaning towards a 48K fleck 5600SXT single tank unit, but I have read some good stuff about the 9100SXT twin tank unit (namely that it's more water and salt efficient?). It looks like the 48K would give me 68 days before a regeneration is needed (!).

- Is there a disadvantage to spacing out the regeneration so much? I have learned recently that they should be forced after 14 days? Why is that?
- If the above is true, should I go with a much smaller unit such as the 32K or even less? seems like I would use more salt and water if I went that route.
- I don't care about 24/7 soft water, but it appears like the twin tank units are also more efficient on water/salt use?

Thank you!

Untitled.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
Is there a disadvantage to spacing out the regeneration so much? I have learned recently that they should be forced after 14 days? Why is that?
30 days.

Your water usage, at 33 gallons per day per person, is below average.

Dual tank efficiency for you would be nothing.

The Fleck 5810SXT would be the better match for your 1 inch plumbing. It is not listed on websites, but it is available.

It is important that you get 10% crosslinked resin.

ml1337

Reaction score
The Fleck 5810SXT would be the better match for your 1 inch plumbing. It is not listed on websites, but it is available.

Thank you for your answer.

I found it here: https://www.midatlanticwater.net/sh...softeners/fleck-5810sxt-demand-water-softener

This valve looks to be quite a bit more than the 5600SXT, the price is almost on par with a 9100SXT twin tank delivered to my door. What does it do better than the 5600? I see that this one has a Vortech tank which is considered superior I think? (not sure in what way).

Last edited:

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Vortech is simply a different technology, ignore the marketing. We do a lot of Vortech but they are not that exciting. Most of our systems simply go out with a gravel underbedding instead.

The price is not just the valve, many of the online dealers use the cheapest junk, screens, medias, non NSF listed gravel (home depot), cheap brine tanks and a lot of sacrafices in order to be the lowest price. Imagine buying a Toyota online for a super cheap price only to find out is a Toyota body with some cheap POS engine, tranny etc... this would not really be a Toyota anymore, this is one of the reasons Fleck and Clack are restricting online sales. Too many companies sourcing the lowest cost components and sticking a name brand valve on top...

ml1337

Reaction score
Vortech is simply a different technology, ignore the marketing. We do a lot of Vortech but they are not that exciting. Most of our systems simply go out with a gravel underbedding instead.

The price is not just the valve, many of the online dealers use the cheapest junk, screens, medias, non NSF listed gravel (home depot), cheap brine tanks and a lot of sacrafices in order to be the lowest price. Imagine buying a Toyota online for a super cheap price only to find out is a Toyota body with some cheap POS engine, tranny etc... this would not really be a Toyota anymore, this is one of the reasons Fleck and Clack are restricting online sales. Too many companies sourcing the lowest cost components and sticking a name brand valve on top...

So how do I ensure I get the good stuff for a DIY install? What do you think of these guys http://www.602abcwater.com

I'm leaning towards this one: https://602abcwater.com/collections...ter-softener-system-with-digital-touch-screen

Actually it appears to be a 5810 or 12 with the touch screen. Of course I have no way to know what the quality of the other components are. But the same goes with anybody, on or offline.

Last edited:

ditttohead

Reaction score
I sent you a pm, but most of the online companies focus on price. Using a good valve with the remainder being the lowest cost parts they can source in the quest to be $1 cheaper than the next guy...

adypana

Reaction score
I sent you a pm, but most of the online companies focus on price. Using a good valve with the remainder being the lowest cost parts they can source in the quest to be $1 cheaper than the next guy...
Hi,
I live in Colorado, zipcode 80007. I'm interested in a softening system for a family of 2 adults and 2 children, 2.5 bathrooms. Can you recommend a company to sell me a CLACK WS1 (twin) valve system that I can install myself? I mention that I am primarily interested in product quality and in easy maintenance

ditttohead

Reaction score
Clack is not available to the und user. They want it installed and serviced by a knowledgeable company. I sent you a PM

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks