Search results

1. Atomic1

Angle Stop at End of Threaded Stub

I have a toilet supply where an angle stop is threaded onto the end of a chrome stub coming out of the wall. I know of FIP angle stops, but those are usually one piece designs. It appears that this angle stop has an independent nut on it that would allow the stop to swivel to the correct...
  2. Atomic1

Are there any real benefits to using low wattage heating elements?

I have hard water with an electric water heater and thought I'd give a low wattage element a try because it was marketed as great for hard water. These elements fold back on themselves to gain the extra surface area. After 2 years I decided to pull the element to clean out the tank of sediment...
  3. Atomic1

Faucet connectors for open base vanities

I am looking at a double sink vanity for the master bathroom. Of course, my wife must have a vanity with open space beneath the sinks (and a set of drawers in between). Kinda like this There are four supply angle stops that are located just off the floor and they will be just below the...
  4. Atomic1

Gate Valve Leakage When Closed

I have a 90-deg boiler drain valve in my washing machine wall service box. It is leaking out of the stem even when the valve is closed. Does this mean it is more than just the packing that has failed? I assumed yes, but have never messed with one of these before.
  5. Atomic1

Hard Water Not Causing Buildup in Pipes

Hi there, I had two tests (one professional test and one home kit) of my well water show that it's 17.1 grains at a TDS of 320 mg/l. NO softener, and in doing plumbing work over the past few years, I've noticed absolutely no deposits within the copper pipes (the house is about 30 years old)...
  6. Atomic1

How to remove an excessive amount of sediment

I have an 80 gallon electric tank with sediment up to the bottom electrode. Dont think the previous owners ever flushed it. Since it's a 10yr warranty tank thats only 5 yrs old, I'd like to try to flush it out but even with a full port drain I installed, it's not coming out. Do any of you...
  7. Atomic1

Flexible Water Heater Connection Questions

For electric water heaters with copper water supply systems, what is your go to make/type/configuration of flexible water heater connections and any shutoff valves? In my research, it sounds like corrugated copper is the way to go, so that seems to take fluidmaster out of play since they only...
  8. Atomic1

2018 Electric Water Heater Recommendations

Like the title says, what would you recommend at this point for a long-lived electric water heater? Am on well water.
  9. Atomic1

Phyn Leak Detection System

Does anyone have any hands on experience with the Phyn Plus leak detection system? www.phyn.com/product and can comment on how well it actually works? I know of a few people in the neighborhood (same builder & vintage homes) who have come home to pinhole leaks in their copper, and I'm...
  10. Atomic1

Spun vs Thermally Bonded Poly Sediment Filter

Does anyone know any significant differences between spun vs thermally bonded polypropylene sediment filters? American plumber offers both but doesnt really say what the differences are https://americanplumber.com/assets/uploads/products/resources/300026_SedimentCartridges_Rev_B_OC17.pdf
  11. Atomic1

Sediment filter change interval

I have an american plumber WVC34 two stage whole house filter (25 and 5 micron spun polyproplene filters), and the 25 gets pretty nasty looking after only 2 weeks. Tan colored deposits that mostly cling to the filter and start affecting pressure after 4 weeks. Is this fairly common? I have a...
  12. Atomic1

Steel Well Casings - Corrosion

What is the design intent of using a steel casing in a well? I'm specifically talking about basic corrosion performance. How do casings stand up to the constant rise and fall of water within the well as well as condensation that forms on the inside face of the well cap in the winter. It would...
  13. Atomic1

1.25" p-trap

For SINKS, I have really only ever seen 1.5" p-traps that accept 1.25" tailpieces. Whats the deal then with the 1.25" p-traps I see being sold. Where exactly are these traps used and are they expected to be a constantly clogging condition? Are these only used when constrained by geometry or...
  14. Atomic1

Will the air pressure in a pressurized well tank equal the water pressure?

This is for a system that is pressurized with water (ie, not empty of water). When you take an air pressure reading on the tank, should it read equal the water pressure in the system? Thinking back to my old physics class, i thought they should be equal. I'm just curious if my air gage is off...
  15. Atomic1

Pressure tank precharge to cut-in offset

Submersible pump with a goulds bladder pressure tank. Is it ever ok to have a 14psi differential between the tank air precharge and the cut-in pressure? I'm asking because I had a well driller perform a check on the pump/well system and the tech upped the settings on my pressure switch from a...
  16. Atomic1

Groundwater flowing into drain pipe?

Has anyone seen an instance where a cracked clay lateral allows a significant amount of groundwater into the pipe? ie, capable of flooding a dry-locked basement with a foot of water?
  17. Atomic1

What else should be replaced when replacing submersible pump?

Like the subject says, what other things should be replaced when replacing a submersible? I believe I have a poly drop pipe with a pitless adapter. Does the drop pipe get replaced? Oring on pitless?
  18. Atomic1

Moen Posi Temp Handle Slop

This setup is about 1 yr old, and I'm finding that there's about 5 to 10-degrees of slop when turning the posi temp handle from off to on. I believe it's the adapter that's twisting on the front end of the cartridge shaft. I tried a new adapter but no luck. Has anyone encountered this and...
  19. Atomic1

Recommed me a whole house prefilter

I want to add a prefilter to my 4-bed house on well water to meet the requirements for my UV system (installed by the previous owner). The water clarity is pretty good with a turbidity of 0.1 NTU, but I do notice some silty sediment in the UV chamber whenever I change out quartz sleeves. The...
  20. Atomic1

PVC at well pressure tank

Is PVC pipe generally accepted at well pressure tanks? My setup, installed by the previous homeowner, has about 6' of PVC to plumb the tank from the service line coming from the well, to the copper to the house. Every time the well kicks on/off, there is as slight shimmy in this PVC plumbing...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks