PVC at well pressure tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Atomic1

Reaction score
Is PVC pipe generally accepted at well pressure tanks? My setup, installed by the previous homeowner, has about 6' of PVC to plumb the tank from the service line coming from the well, to the copper to the house. Every time the well kicks on/off, there is as slight shimmy in this PVC plumbing. Makes me concerned about the pipe eventually fracturing. Just wondering how well PVC holds up and if i should consider having an all metal pipe setup.

Reach4

Reaction score
Is PVC pipe generally accepted at well pressure tanks?
Yes from a quality point of view. There have been code changes to banish new PVC from inside the house officially, but to permit CPVC. This is due to PVC having long term problems with hot water. Now you ask when your pump plumbing faces hot water.... So I don't know if this indoor PVC with water from the well is unofficially OK. I am not a pro.

Where is your pump, in the house, or down the well? What is this shimmy? Do you visibly see pipe movement? Do you have an inside check valve on water from a submersible pump?

Atomic1

Reaction score
Submersible pump in the well. Tank is in the basement. No interior check valve. The line from the pump comes in about 4' above the floor, directly into a straight manifold which has the switch. Then it transitions to PVC which tees down to the base of the tank and up to the copper for the house.

It's not a ton of movement, but is definitely there.

Not a fan of the switch being installed so far from the tank either, but i assume they did it because the wiring wouldn't reach the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks