Sediment filter change interval

Users who are viewing this thread

Atomic1

Reaction score
I have an american plumber WVC34 two stage whole house filter (25 and 5 micron spun polyproplene filters), and the 25 gets pretty nasty looking after only 2 weeks. Tan colored deposits that mostly cling to the filter and start affecting pressure after 4 weeks. Is this fairly common? I have a 120' well that goes 110' into limestone and with 60' of 6" steel casing The static water level is around 20'. Well is about 30 years old and originally produced 25gpm. 1/2hp subersible pump. The water at the tap is clear, but I'm just trying to get an idea if it's an issue. I'm likely going to get a new pump in the next year or so and want to know if the installer should be looking at adjusting the pump height.

Reach4

Reaction score
The next time you swap filter cartridges, scrape what you can into a glass of water. Stir. See how much quickly it settles out. If quite a bit settles quickly, there are filters that are easy to clean with a backwashing setting, and don't use a cartridge. One of those before the cartridge filters could be good.

Also, a 20x4.5 cartridge filter lasts considerably longer than one that uses a 2.5 x 10 cartridge.

Raising the pump may be a good idea. So might be a flow inducer. How big is your well (diameter)?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I would test the water for iron. Does it smell like a nose bleed? A flow inducer sleeve that Reach4 suggests might help if sediment is entering the bore hole from above the pump. There is no down side to having it. When a sleeve is used as a sediment separator, it needs to be twice as long as the pump.

Atomic1

Reaction score
A recent full gammet test found zero iron in the water. The well did test positive for total coliform and e.coli, so I believe this is related to silt entering the well in some manner. The color of the dirty filters does generally match the color of the surface soils on my property. The area around the well head is graded pretty well without any standing water, so it's probably silt getting down through a fissure in the limestone. I am considering having the casing video'd when the pump is replaced so see if they can find any obvious cracks in the casing.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It could be a crack in the casing, but the top casing not being properly cemented to the earth is the most common problem with rain water getting in.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
I would test the water for iron. Does it smell like a nose bleed? A flow inducer sleeve that Reach4 suggests might help if sediment is entering the bore hole from above the pump. There is no down side to having it. When a sleeve is used as a sediment separator, it needs to be twice as long as the pump.

Never really thought about this, but what in hell does a nosebleed smell like? Between nosebleeds and geese, chicken, pigs, rabbits blood all over me, I never detected any specific smell. I would hate to tell my wife "hey! our water smells just like a nosebleed or a dying goose" :]

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
A nose bleed smells like iron. If you've never smelled either then describing it would be like describing colour to a blind man.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks