Moen Posi Temp Handle Slop

Users who are viewing this thread

Atomic1

Reaction score
This setup is about 1 yr old, and I'm finding that there's about 5 to 10-degrees of slop when turning the posi temp handle from off to on. I believe it's the adapter that's twisting on the front end of the cartridge shaft. I tried a new adapter but no luck. Has anyone encountered this and know whats going on? I made sure the notch in the cartridge shaft is pointing the correct direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
This adapter is secured with a little screw. Make sure the screw is all the way in snug.

posi-bronze-5.jpg

posi-stem-stop-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Atomic1

Reaction score
Yea, I replaced the entire black adapter and snugged the screw. The problem is that the black adapter isn't very snug on the end of the brass shaft, and therefore when you turn the handle it gradually loosens the screw. Might try putting some electrical tape on the end of the shaft, but am surprised nobody else has encountered this.

Only other option would be to use some locktight on the screw

Atomic1

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone else has any thoughts or solutions. I even have a replacement cartridge and there is still too much slop between the brass shaft and black adapter which causes the screw to loosen over time.

Reach4

Reaction score
There are various strengths of Locktite thread locker.

Atomic1

Reaction score
Ok, in case anyone else is searching, I've figured it out on my own. There is an engineering problem with the plastic Moen handle adapters. If you look at reviews online for the Moen 116653 Posi Temp adapter kit, you will see many comments about slop between this adapter and the brass shaft of the Posi-temp cartridge. I spoke with Moen's tech department and it seems there's an underlying issue they don't want to admit.

One option is to purchase a replacement adapter from Danco which is made from metal and fits tighter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks