Steel Well Casings - Corrosion

Users who are viewing this thread

Atomic1

Reaction score
What is the design intent of using a steel casing in a well? I'm specifically talking about basic corrosion performance. How do casings stand up to the constant rise and fall of water within the well as well as condensation that forms on the inside face of the well cap in the winter. It would seem like you'd certainly get corrosion byproducts in the water all the time as the casing degrades.

I have a 6" diameter, 120' deep well with a casing that goes to 63'. 14' clay, and the remainder is limestone. Water level goes from 16', and during it's initial 30minute yield test, the water went to 100'. So the casing is well within the normal water level variance.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Most well casing is made up of an alloy that resists corrosion to some extent. The casing also may form a patina that provides some protection.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The patina on steel casing is called rust. :) Steel casing will rust very badly at or above the static water line. When it parts, that is usually where it happens. Steel is used for casing because it is strong enough not to break if the ground or rocks shift a bit, or when working deeper than the limits of PVC casing. All of which would snap off PVC casing. But PVC casing is used in a lot of areas where the ground doesn't shift. Generally Stainless Steel casing is so expensive, it is preferred to use thick wall steel pipe when rigidity is needed. They may even use a Stainless Screen on the bottom of the steel casing. The thick wall means it will take some time for steel casing to rust through, but it eventually will.

The casing can rust up so bad you can't get the pump out, or the perferations rust up and impede water inflow. There are all kinds of chemicals like Cotey Chemical makes to clean steel casing. Brushing, surging, and air blasting also helps clean off the rust. But when you clean steel casing and get it down to shiny metal, it just starts rusting all over again.

They make rust prevention chemicals to add in wells. But these are mainly used in salt or brine water wells, as you wouldn't want to add chemicals to fresh water wells.

I have also worked with fiberglass casing, but I don't think that would be a good idea for potable water either.

Don't panic though, I know where there are some steel cased wells over 100 years old still working. And if the steel casing is large enough, it can be lined with smaller casing if holes or breaks occur to get another 100 years of service maybe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks