Pump for 1000 foot well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Studhauler

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum here. I am from Minnesota and a a piece of land in Arizona with a 1000 foot deep well, the static water level is 800’. The well was on the property when I bought it, no pump or any thing. Just a sealed well head. I think it is a 6” well but it may be an 8”. What do I need for a pump? I have searched the internet for awhile but can’t find info on this deep of a well, or don’t know the right things to search for. What do I need for the pressure pipe coming up the well? I imagine I will be pumping it into a storage tank.

Thank you

Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
The smallest/cheapest option would be a 2HP - 5gpm...a Franklin series 3200 would suit and give you around 3 or 4 gpm into a storage tank. You should install galvanized pipe due to the pressure and weight. I would install a flow sleeve and also some sort of dry run protection. I would also install HD black jacketed wire.

Studhauler

Reaction score
Well now I have even more questions (pun intended.)

Schedule 40 or 80?
Welded or treaded couplings?
What size pipe? 1 1/4” like the pump fitting or larger or smaller piping?
Can I use poly pipe (tubing) for the top 200 feet or is it best to stick with one type of pipe all the way down?

Thank you,

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Can I use poly pipe (tubing) for the top 200 feet or is it best to stick with one type of pipe all the way down?
This is not going to be DIY. There will be a big special hoist truck used. Using poly would require different equipment.

If there is a change in pipe material, it could be schedule 120 or schedule 180 pvc in the upper part. Threaded couplings normally.

1 inch is big enough to carry the water up to about 7 to 10 gpm, so the strength calculations will be the important part.

https://www.thedriller.com/articles/89265-tech-topics-revisiting-drop-pipe-load-bearing-capacity

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
Take your advice from the professionals only please. Galvanized or stainless steel drop pipe ONLY. BECAUSE OF THE DEPTHS. This is beyond the depth ratings of sch120 PVC or poly drop pipe. No you cannot use a lighter material at the top.

And you may have to go to 1 1/4" sch 40 galvanized drop pipe. Not because of flow, but because of the load bearing capacity of the threaded connections.

This is not a DIY installation. Unless you plan on spending $25,000-$150,000 for the necessary equipment to do the job correctly and safely.

And yes, I have done pump installations this deep.

Studhauler

Reaction score
No you cannot use a lighter material at the top.

And you may have to go to 1 1/4" sch 40 galvanized drop pipe. Not because of flow, but because of the load bearing capacity of the threaded connections..

I learned lighter material would have to go on the bottom. Now I remember, that an architect once told me, it is best to sick with the same material throughout. I think that would apply here too

I was thinking 11/4” also because 1” pipe loses too much-based material when the threads are cut.

I am just trying to be knowledgeable before make phone calls to local pros. A thousand feet of inch & quarter pipe is over a ton in weight, that is a lot of weight to stick down a hole.

Reach4

Reaction score
I learned lighter material would have to go on the bottom. Now I remember, that an architect once told me, it is best to sick with the same material throughout.
Bottom sees much higher pressures. Top carries more weight.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
1 1/4" sch 40 steel pipe full of water weighs 2.93 pounds per foot. That would be a ton and a half for just the pipe and water. Then the wire and pump will add a few hundred pounds to that. So, like VA and Boyce have said, use 1 1/4" sch 40 steel pipe and a 5 GPM series 2HP pump/motor. Once you get the pump in the well a cistern storage tank and booster pump will supply the house as much volume and pressure as needed.

LOW YIELD WELL_ CENTRIFUGAL_PK1A.jpg

LOW YIELD WELL_SUB_PK1A.jpg

Reach4

Reaction score
I think a 5 gallon pump may be enough for your house, depending on your needs. That way you would avoid having to maintain a cistern.

However the cistern does have the advantage that a fire engine can draw from there.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Like has been said, a pump set at 1000' in not going to be cheap. I would keep as much cycling off that pump as possible by filling a cistern, and let a much smaller and less expensive booster pump take the abuse from cycling on/off when the house needs water. You wouldn't be able to use a Cycle Stop Valve on that 2HP, 5 GPM pump, and you can't put on a large enough pressure tank to limit the cycling the way a cistern tank will.

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Find out who drilled it and make sure the well is worth the money to put a pump in. Any well will accumulate some water. If the thing is basically dry, why put a pump in it?

Studhauler

Reaction score
Find out who drilled it and make sure the well is worth the money to put a pump in. Any well will accumulate some water. If the thing is basically dry, why put a pump in it?

the last owner told me it was a slow well. According to him, the well driller said at 1200 feet it would have a great supply of water, but he could only drill 1000 feet. That is why I would go with a cistern.

I have hauled my own water by hand before, two 5 gallon jugs, and lived on 10 gallons a day when living in an RV.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks