Best way to wet vent a washing maching and utility sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

K-Man

Reaction score
I inherited a small mess that I am cleaning up. The basement washing machine and utility sink wet vent into a 1-1/2" riser that goes thru the concrete slab, w/ an AAV -- I am stuck with that situation (these were installed by a plumber for the previous owner.) I don't know the DFU but if not large enough I'll change the AAV (or add a second.)

The W/M trap was cracked -- see pix -- (and the drain for the U/S is horrendously stupid - notice the copper to galvanized to pex -- I am starting anew with all that.) I may finish that room at some point, so might install a W/M supply/drain box - not sure.

9WY9B.jpg

C0maH.jpg

Q1: The wye for the U/S drain - isn't that a No-No -- should have been a San Tee??

Q2: I'll locate the W/M riser/trap 12" above the slab - should I use 2" (and also there to the slab) even though the thru-slab is 1-1/2?

Q3: I plan to use an S-Tee for the W/M drain. OK?

Q4: Any reason to lower the U/S drain and stack the S-Tee onto the W/M S-Tee (I'd think it's best to keep as much separation as I can)?

Q5: Concerned w/ the high W/M flow/pumping - do I need to back vent the W/M drain (or I could add a second riser/AAV??)

Q6: (just curious)What's the reasoning for the W/M trap 12"-18" and a max 30" riser?

Q7: This pic floats around - isn't the wye for the W/M a No-No? (or is that only when a wye is on the trap arm itself?)
And the sink drain looks too steep - the vent inlet looks to be below the trap weir level?

rGQg3.jpg

Thanks for looking at this!

Reach4

Reaction score
Q1: yes.

Q6: The reason cited for the UPC is to prevent there from being enough head to encourage siphoning of the trap. Since WMs typically end up with low flow, I suspect the trap would get refilled, even if it did siphon. However NC does not use UPC, but rather IPC. IPC is more tolerant than UPC, and allows a much taller standpipe. https://up.codes/viewer/north_carolina/ipc-2015

The totally code-compliant thing to do with your 1.5 inch drain pipe is to only connect the laundry sink, and discharge the WM into the sink. However I know that in practice allowances are often made for existing hard-to-change things, maybe a standpipe in addition to the sink would be permitted. I expect that is a local decision. I am not a plumber.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
washer_rough_b.jpg

The laundry tray can't be wet vented over the washer. They need separate vents, which can combine above 42" and go to a single vent.
The vertical for the trap arms will come off of a santee fitting, not a combo or wye.

The washer gets a 2" trap and standpipe. It can have a 1.5" vent.
The laundry tray is 2" except for a 1.5" trap, trap arm and vent.

Santees on the vertical for the trap arms.
The combo on it's back for the vent is what inspectors like. Vertical to horizontal, a wye or combo.
Horizontal to vertical on the trap arms, a santee.

Last edited:

K-Man

Reaction score
Terry -

THANK YOU (for your guidance/pix and making such a wonderful resource available.)
The AAV looks like it may be non-compliant, or at least a Keeney (which I have heard leaks gas) so I will replace it (1-1/2 AAV Oatey is way higher than the 4 DFU that I need.)

Is it acceptable to use tees or santees on the vent, vs. the sweeps you show?

Are you concerned that the thru slab is 1-1/2" and will have the 2" washer and 1-1/2" tray to it? Would it be better to "choke off" with 1-1/2 above the floor? (I realize it isn't current code, but trying to make the best of a not so good situation.)
I really HATE to do it (because it isn't a "finished job") but if this were yours would you dump the washer into the tray and be done with it?

Odd that the Keeney prefab polypro washer standpipe/trap that Lowes carries is 1-1/2"???

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks