Replace shutoff or add another inline?

Users who are viewing this thread

Redline

Reaction score
I started working in my new (to me) 1894 city house and need to replace the outdoor silcock. There are currently four separate water feeds that come out of the basement floor in various places, with no main shutoff inside (St Louis doesnt meter city water). I would assume there is a utility shutoff in the yard, but i cant find it.

either way, this is one of those feeds. The gate valve is pretty crusty and with no shutoff behind it, I am a little concerned with loosening all of the corrosion at this point. I dont know the age, but assume it could be 1950s/60s when they converted some of the lead pipe to galvanized.

is there any major benefit in replacing the gate valve (id have to have the city come shut off the curb-stop), or should i just change the union to a dielectric, put in a new ball valve down-line for winterization and plumb in the the new silcock?

Attachments

• IMG_4772.JPG
    IMG_4772.JPG
    80.5 KB · Views: 223
Last edited:

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
Are you sure it is gate valve nad not a globe valve? The piping is a catastrophe looking to happen in a very short time

Redline

Reaction score
could be a globe, but i dont think they'd use those as a shutoff - how do you tell?

the galvanized isnt bad. Ironically, someone painted it "corrosion green" at some point and thats flaking off.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
could be a globe, but i dont think they'd use those as a shutoff - how do you tell?
Yes, I agree.
You agree that Redline doesn't think they'd use those as a shutoff? Or you think that Sylvan is right about it being a globe valve. They can both be true temporarily, but Redline will come around to realize that globe valves were the norm for shutoffs for a long time, and he has one. :p

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Your best bet is adding a shutoff between the existing and the union.
Good luck. Often the old galvanized where it meets the brass has taken a beating. I sometimes have to cut and thread further down.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
A Globe pattern valve is slightly more rounded at the bottom and there should be an arrow on a globe valve indicating the direction of flow

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks