Finding Unknown Location/Direction of Drain Lines

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephen Lowe

Reaction score
Our recently purchased house has 6 drains for the gutters. Only one has a visible outlet down the hill. All of them have a 4" PVC pipe that leads vertically underground at the house perimeter. When I run water in them, they do not drain out of the existing outlet (that one only drains from one of the six gutter pipes) and there is no evidence of where the water goes (I am guessing underground somewhere. House is on a hilltop and is near Granbury, TX on sandy and rocky soil. My question: Is there a way to identify the location of the drain pipes and/or at least the direction they run? I know I could dig them up, but that seems way too labor intensive. I am not aware of any sensors, etc; but hope something might be around. Thanks.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
A professional service will send an electronic transponder down the line which can be detected from the surface using a receiver.
If the pipes are shallow, you might be able to do something with a snake and a metal detector.

Bcarlson78248

Reaction score
Years ago I was at Sunbelt Rental and you could rent a device for locating underground sprinkler pipes. However, I believe the assumption was that there was an electric wire running to each valve, and I think you were just locating the wire next to the pipe. They may also have something that could trace a wire that was routed down a drain pipe.

Bruce

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks