Help with hot water!!

Users who are viewing this thread

JD Gravina

Reaction score
Ok I need some direction... here is my story:

My original hot water heater got some really bad corrosion on the nipples. I didn't catch it quickly and didn't really do much about it until my hot water started turning brown. Had the nipples replaced, but eventually the water heater was leaking (among other issues) and I needed a new one.

Now I have a brand new water heater. The problem is, I believe the corrosion and gunk from the previous issue has clogged up some lines. Several of my sinks take forever to get warm and then I have to turn the hot on full blast for it to get hot. Once I do, it usually get VERY hot.

Same thing with the shower. I have to turn it all the way hot, then it gets scorching, and if I turn it down more than just a tiny bit it gets cold again.

So my question is, as someone who can just do the basics, is there a place to start to try to get everything cleaned out? A most likely spot? I have this soft plastic tube system, pictures are included. I also have a hot water circulator that I ended up turning off, because it was only getting hot water to about half the areas it was going. I included pictures. Or would I be better off spending the money and calling a pro? Thanks for your help!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
water_heater_rust_1.jpg

This water came out of an old water heater.
You can try removing the aerators on the faucets and flushing them out. If you need to back flush the piping system on the hot side, you would need to disconnect the hot out of the water heater and run that into a drain or outside. Then you would take a hose with an adapter to connect to the hot stops and run cold water backwards on the hot side to the water heater location.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks