Told the wife I could fix the floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Theswed

Reaction score
We bought the house last year and the toilet was severely rocking and the previous owner/s removed too much flooring around the toilet. I was going to and what I have started was pull the flooring and located two floor joist to sister on opposite sides of each other and I wanted to build support before laying a new subfloor. However there is three types flooring i pulled back the sheet vinyl, backer board, a hardwood floor and subfloor and now I am over 2 inches to reach my current floor level and closet bend and flange. I can't lay 2 inches of subfloor, that doesn't seem right. What are my options here? How do I build It back up to floor height? Preface house built in 1883 and I am not a carpenter obviously. Thank you

IMG_20180318_090215.jpg
IMG_20180318_090808.jpg
IMG_20180318_090717.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, the best option when patching is to cover two joist bays with the section or add some blocking to help support it (which may be harder with a toilet flange and drain pipe in there). Otherwise, the ends are just hanging on a fairly narrow lip on the joist. Spanning two bays means that the middle is supported by a full-width joist, and making for a much stronger patch.

T&G planks with say 3/4" ply on top should get you close. Without knowing the exact height you need to build up, and what you're going to use for the top finished layer, it's hard to say. WIll you be trying to match the existing finished flooring? THat will be tough. If you're going to install a new finished layer in the room, what are you planning? If say tile, you'd need more information on the structure to determine if it is even possible.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks