Bathroom renovation tile floor question

Users who are viewing this thread

Eman85

Reaction score
I have gutted my bathroom and started building it back. Tub and surround replaced and all sheetrock up. Put down cement board and am going to tile the floor. I have no door or door frame at the moment and the floor outside the bathroom is just subfloor. I need some suggestions on how to have the 2 floors meet and what to do at the door frame. I plan on using a pre-hung door with a 2 piece jamb. Floor outside of the bathroom will be laminate. I have looked at a marble type threshold which is 4x24 and would fit in the door jamb as I'm using a 24" door. Just confused on how it all meets up at the door and what to set the jamb on top of.

Dustbunny

Reaction score
The marble thresholds I've seen come with different profiles. Meaning more or less thick and different angles towards the floor on each side. Some even have different angles on each side. So you need to decide what thickness and angle is the best compromise between meeting each floor height. They also make 5.5-6" wide thresholds which might make it easier.

You will have 3 different heights meeting your door jambs. Bath, hall and threshold. With the wider marble, the inner section of the jamb will be all the same height. Narrower means the inner jamb will be 3 heights.

Eman85

Reaction score
You will have 3 different heights meeting your door jambs. Bath, hall and threshold. With the wider marble, the inner section of the jamb will be all the same height. Narrower means the inner jamb will be 3 heights.
Not clear on what you mean by the inner jamb being 3 heights. Door isn't installed yet as I want to be sure the door has enough clearance over the tile, thought I might have to shim the frame up.

Dustbunny

Reaction score
If you have a 2x4 wall and half inch drywall on each side, the part of the jamb between the walls will be 4 1/2 wide. If you have 2x3 walls, the 4 x 24 threshold will be fine

Reach4

Reaction score
Wood door height over the floor is usually handled with a saw. The amount of gap needed under the wall is usually bigger if you have forced air heat or AC, and that gap serves as the path to the furnace air return. A louvered door or door with a louver can provide enough air return. Where you are putting the frame at whatever height you want, you could adjust the door bottom height by where you position the frame.

IMO, ideal would be the new bathroom floor and the outside floor would be the same height. A threshold deals with the difference in height. I like to have no threshold if the levels, and lack of gap, permit If the new laminated floor is floating, then there is presumed to be a gap. The threshold/transition covers the gap, and allows the floating flooring to change width. I don't know that marble is an option in that case.

Avoid having too high of a threshold. Think robot vacuums, wheelchairs, and more.

Eman85

Reaction score
If you have a 2x4 wall and half inch drywall on each side, the part of the jamb between the walls will be 4 1/2 wide. If you have 2x3 walls, the 4 x 24 threshold will be fine
I do have 2x4 walls so yes my door jamb will be 4 1/2" And yes there will be a difference in height of the floors as the laminate is 3/8" to 1/2" and the cement board itself is that thick. And yes the home has forced air heat. Yes the laminate will require a gap so it floats. My thoughts on that was to place a transition between the laminate and the marble threshold allowing for the gap and adjusting for some of the height differential.

gillrich

Reaction score
The threshold can serve as a transition piece between the tile floor in the bathroom and the laminate flooring outside. Make sure the threshold is wide enough to cover the gap between the two floors and sits flush with the finished floor surfaces on both sides. Don't forget that it is also easy to discover and buy floor tiles online, as you see all the available options, without driving up and down.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks