Removing Circulator to Change Gaskets

Users who are viewing this thread

Sydflash

Reaction score
Noticed today that the gaskets on my circulators are dry and brittle and one has a small leak. I've heard these called "football" gaskets. Seemed like an easy task to replace them, but after removing the bolts from the flanges I can't get the circulator to budge. Is there a trick to getting this thing out?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
A chisel, with a few taps (not whallops) of a (small) hammer to wedge them apart should work.

Sydflash

Reaction score
Thanks Dana. I was able to drive a flat screwdriver into the dried up gasket and popped the flanges apart by twisting. Getting the dried gunk that was the gasket off the flanges was another arduous task. I think I may start replacing the gaskets every four or five years, before they become a problem.

Any advice on how tight the bolts should be?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Make 'em "kinda snug", then run the system, and only torque it higher if it seeps at high temperature or low. Cranking the hell out of it over compressing the gasket gives the gasket less mechanical compliance for accommodating dimension changes with temperature. Taco might have a torque specification buried somewhere in the documentation, but I can't say I've ever looked for it.

The gaskets should last as long as the pump. Swapping them out every 20 years might be prudent (both the pump and the gaskets) to mitigate risk of a mid-heating season failure, but a 5 year schedule would be silly (unless you just love doing it as a hobby. :) )

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks