Kohler toilet K-4634-BA

Users who are viewing this thread

robbiesd

Reaction score
My mother has this older 1.6 GPF Kohler 2-piece toilet. I find K-4634-BA stamped into the tank, this appears to be the tank model number. I also find "Class 5" on the fill valve (model 400) and the canister flush valve. The issue I think she's experiencing is that the canister is not always fully dropping and sealing, so the toilet runs, never filling up the tank. Every time I go over there it won't act up for me! Anyway, any thoughts on why it might not always fully drop and seal? I saw a posting about the chain to the lever sometimes kinking up and that putting a sleeve over the chain solved that issue. I did shorten the chain so that there is only a little slack in it. On my initial visit there was quite a bit of slack in it. But she's still telling me it's acting up so shortening the chain didn't change that. Looking at Kohler's site I see that for tank K-4634 there are two flush valve assemblies, the canister type (1083980) and a flapper type (1024385). Any preference if I'm going to replace the flush assembly? But it seems it would be a waste of $$ to buy a new canister when this one is working fine - at least every time I've been there to investigate it. Should I be looking at the "GUIDE" to see if there is a rough spot on it or mineral build up on it? I'm just puzzled as to why this would be an intermittant issue.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Robbie
BTW - I'm so glad I put TOTO's in my home years ago. I can only say "Thanks" to this forum's participants for steering me to them. I've never once had to lift the cover on any one of them, nor have I ever had a clog. Two Drakes - a 1.6 and a 1.0 and a 1.26 Vespin, all 2-piece models.
I've got an American Standard in one of my rental homes, came with it- that unique flush valve assembly is also a drag!

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I don't have any good ideas about your canister flush issue, unless the handle is sticking. Ask Mom to flush it while you watch. If it's not working for one operator but is working for another (you), I would see how the operator with the problem is operating it. Let us know.

I second your kudos to Toto. We don't have a lot of our members who own the 1.0gpf Drake II; I'm delighted to hear it is working well for you. The videos that I have seen are impressive, but also concern me that folks who aren't committed to a 1.0 might be troubled by the appearance of the flush with the super-low water consumption, although it seems to be effective and provide sufficient bowl wash.

On that American Standard -- does it have the tilt-flush? The parts for it are readily-available, but our plumber years ago was having none of it and pulled off the tilt-flush and just used this model of Korky flapper, sliding the O section of it over the overflow riser and dropping the flap onto the flush valve hole.

2000BP_in_1.jpg

Korky "Classic Plus", Model 2000__

Or does it have what I call the Funnelator -- the thing that allows them to market a 3" flush hole as a 4" flush "valve" on the Champion. Some people have had no problems with replacing the seals, for which Korky also makes a good one, but others have been flummoxed by it. If the time ever comes that you have a problem replacing the seal, this forum does have a few threads on tricks others have used to get it to work. One other secret: Korky makes a 3" flush valve assembly that fits right in the hole for the Funnelator, and uses a standard Korky 3" flapper. You pull the tank off, unscrew the big nut, pull out the Funnelator and just slide the Korky in its place, screw its big nut back on, remount the tank, adjust the height of the overflow tube with its twist-to-lock adjustability, and you're in business. After that, all you need to do is replace the flapper with a Korky (or any brand) 3" flapper. Those that have tried this approach have indicated that the toilet flushed just the same (as it should).

5030_out_1.jpg

Korky "Large 3" Adjustable Flush Valve Kit", Model 5030 http://www.korky.com/flush-valves-kits/large-3-adjustable-flush-valve-tank-bowl-gasket-kit

Last edited:

robbiesd

Reaction score
I don't have any good ideas about your canister flush issue, unless the handle is sticking. Ask Mom to flush it while you watch. If it's not working for one operator but is working for another (you), I would see how the operator with the problem is operating it. Let us know.

I second your kudos to Toto. We don't have a lot of our members who own the 1.0gpf Drake II; I'm delighted to hear it is working well for you. The videos that I have seen are impressive, but also concern me that folks who aren't committed to a 1.0 might be troubled by the appearance of the flush with the super-low water consumption, although it seems to be effective and provide sufficient bowl wash.

On that American Standard -- does it have the tilt-flush? The parts for it are readily-available, but our plumber years ago was having none of it and pulled off the tilt-flush and just used this model of Korky flapper, sliding the O section of it over the overflow riser and dropping the flap onto the flush valve hole.

2000BP_in_1.jpg

Korky "Classic Plus", Model 2000__

Or does it have what I call the Funnelator -- the thing that allows them to market a 3" flush hole as a 4" flush "valve" on the Champion. Some people have had no problems with replacing the seals, for which Korky also makes a good one, but others have been flummoxed by it. If the time ever comes that you have a problem replacing the seal, this forum does have a few threads on tricks others have used to get it to work. One other secret: Korky makes a 3" flush valve assembly that fits right in the hole for the Funnelator, and uses a standard Korky 3" flapper. You pull the tank off, unscrew the big nut, pull out the Funnelator and just slide the Korky in its place, screw its big nut back on, remount the tank, adjust the height of the overflow tube with its twist-to-lock adjustability, and you're in business. After that, all you need to do is replace the flapper with a Korky (or any brand) 3" flapper. Those that have tried this approach have indicated that the toilet flushed just the same (as it should).

5030_out_1.jpg

Korky "Large 3" Adjustable Flush Valve Kit", Model 5030 http://www.korky.com/flush-valves-kits/large-3-adjustable-flush-valve-tank-bowl-gasket-kit

The Am Std used the Champion 4 valve. I finally learned that the issue was that their seals have micro bubbles in them so I put an aftermarket seal on it and resolved the problem, but only after I needlessly replaced the entire valve and it still weeped. I can attest that the Drake II works very well at 1 GPF, had it for several years now. Actually moved the original Drake to the basement so that I could put the II guest bath. Have the Vespin in the master.

Plumbs Away

Reaction score
My mother has this older 1.6 GPF Kohler 2-piece toilet. I find K-4634-BA stamped into the tank, this appears to be the tank model number. I also find "Class 5" on the fill valve (model 400) and the canister flush valve. The issue I think she's experiencing is that the canister is not always fully dropping and sealing, so the toilet runs, never filling up the tank. Every time I go over there it won't act up for me! Anyway, any thoughts on why it might not always fully drop and seal? I saw a posting about the chain to the lever sometimes kinking up and that putting a sleeve over the chain solved that issue. I did shorten the chain so that there is only a little slack in it. On my initial visit there was quite a bit of slack in it. But she's still telling me it's acting up so shortening the chain didn't change that. Looking at Kohler's site I see that for tank K-4634 there are two flush valve assemblies, the canister type (1083980) and a flapper type (1024385). Any preference if I'm going to replace the flush assembly? But it seems it would be a waste of $$ to buy a new canister when this one is working fine - at least every time I've been there to investigate it. Should I be looking at the "GUIDE" to see if there is a rough spot on it or mineral build up on it? I'm just puzzled as to why this would be an intermittant issue.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Robbie
BTW - I'm so glad I put TOTO's in my home years ago. I can only say "Thanks" to this forum's participants for steering me to them. I've never once had to lift the cover on any one of them, nor have I ever had a clog. Two Drakes - a 1.6 and a 1.0 and a 1.26 Vespin, all 2-piece models.
I've got an American Standard in one of my rental homes, came with it- that unique flush valve assembly is also a drag!
I have a friend who was experiencing an identical Kohler issue. I replaced the canister with the 1024385 flush valve with flapper, and she couldn't be more pleased. It flushes perfectly and she claims flushes better than it did when with the canister when brand new.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
identical Kohler issue. I replaced the canister with the 1024385 flush valve with flapper

Long live the flapper!!!

We have used the collared models to replace the tank ball on Douglas valves (i.e. to replace older technology) and now we use it to replace the newfangled junk which was designed to reduce customer complaints about running toilets (tilt-flush, funnelator, Champion tower flush, etc.).

It's simple, it's cheap, it works, and everyone should learn how to change one: the Flapper!!

Reaction score
Have you tried replacing the seal? It's super easy. All you have to do is rotate the top part of the canister (where the refill tube connects) Turn it counter clockwise and it will release. Now you have access to the red gasket on the bottom. These old gaskets are a defect. The yellow one is an improved version.

canister-seal-yellow.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks