I am in need of advise on purchasing a toilet

Users who are viewing this thread

NMGAL

Reaction score
I am in the midst of remodeling a small guest bathroom and foolishly did not notice that the new vanity, tile, etc. are bright white and the old toilet is off-white (a older Jacuzzi shirted model). I want to replace it with another skirted toilet (chair height - elongated). The current toilet was a tight fit with not much space behind it as the wall behind is tiled with small (thin) subway tile. We have a 12" rough in. I was tempted by the Kohler Persuade (would work style wise) but am reluctant due to negative reviews (install and flushing issues). I have also read some negative reviews on Toto units in terms of installation. I would be most appreciative of any advise as my plumber has been of no assistance (he said "just buy the toilet and I will make it work" which sounds sort of scary to me). I am in a rural area with few alternatives to my not so great plumber so I want to make it as easy as possible for him. Thanks in advance for any advise!

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Persuade is a tougher install than the TOTO that is skirted. Kohler also has some new models that are skirted, as does American Standard.
Which ever one you pick, I'm sure your plumber will be up to it. I do hear complaints from some plumbers if it's not what they do daily. Some have a very limited database of things they have worked with. But many can and will do any task you give them. It sounds like your plumber is open and capable.
I install the skirted toilets all the time. It adds about five minutes.

Reach4

Reaction score
The current toilet was a tight fit with not much space behind it as the wall behind is tiled with small (thin) subway tile. We have a 12" rough in.
It sounds like you might have an 11.3 inch rough in or some such.

Anyway, there is some leeway when using the Unifit adapter.

NMGAL

Reaction score
The Persuade is a tougher install than the TOTO that is skirted. Kohler also has some new models that are skirted, as does American Standard.
Which ever one you pick, I'm sure your plumber will be up to it. I do hear complaints from some plumbers if it's not what they do daily. Some have a very limited database of things they have worked with. But many can and will do any task you give them. It sounds like your plumber is open and capable.
I install the skirted toilets all the time. It adds about five minutes.
Thanks so much! I am going to go with the skirted TOTO then as it seems that they have a pure white color like Kohler's white, which is what I need. I suppose that I misinterpreted my plumber's confidence for disinterest - feeling much better now! Thanks again!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Assuming this install is on a tiled floor, the plumber will need a diamond core bit to drill it (a carbide one might work, but a good porcelain is actually harder than most carbide bits, and won't really drill it). The Unifit adapter needs four holes drilled in the floor. With the right tool, it doesn't take long. With the wrong one, he'll be cursing for a long time!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks