14" Rough-In Toilet Choices

Users who are viewing this thread

waldoinc

Reaction score
Heh that would still be a significant improvement. We could always fill the void behind the toilet with some kind of shelving or storage solution.

waldoinc

Reaction score
I have considered your second suggestion for some time, and you are right, there has to be a way to make it look more like it is finished. The bathroom is on the second floor, the duct work is between the floor joists which were on 12" centers. Once they had put in the ductwork and had it routed the way they did, it would have been very difficult to fix, even with the ceiling still open. So we did not try to change it, but of course I was not aware of exactly where we were going to find the toilet positioned until much later.

jeniloohoo

Reaction score
Hello! Thanks for this great thread which started 4 years ago! So our master toilet is going to be sitting over a support beam that cannot be moved. Eaves, windows, and other limitations force us to have one spot for the toilet, over this beam. In any event I bought a whitehaus one piece, dual flush for $283 at HD which is very modern and cool looking and got good reviews from various sites. I was so happy with it but it is a 12" rough in like every other toilet. Now I have to replace it with a 14" rough in toilet. I see the Toto unifit adapters and the various models. The only modernish looking ones I see are the Aimes and Legato which are double the price of the whitehaus. The rest look fairly traditional. We are designing a spa like bathroom on a budget.

Which Unifit would I buy to convert either of these to a 14" rough in size? Please advise, toilet experts.

I have attached a link to the whitehaus to show you the look I am trying to achieve. Thank you so much. Any suggestions for other toilet options would be great.

http://products.whitehauscollection...siphonic-flush-one-piece-eco-friendly-toilet/

http://products.whitehauscollection.com/whitehauscollection/Specs/WHMFL3351-EB_SPECS.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When you choose the 14" option with a TOTO skirted bowl, you are buying the 14" Unift adapter with it.

unifit_choice.jpg

10" Unift, 12" Unifit and 14" Unifit adapter

Those bowls come standard with the 12".

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Here's your problem. The Unifit adapters can be use ONLY on specific models of Toto toilets. The can not be used on other models of Toto nor can the work with any model of any other brand. The entire method of connecting to the flange is different and can not be changed.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you stick with that toilet, it will sit a good ways from the wall and stick out into the room maybe more than you want. Should you select one of the Toto toilets that use the Unifit (not all do), then assuming the rough-in is exactly 14", there should be about 3/4" behind the toilet to the wall. That same toilet, with the appropriate Unifit, would sit exactly the same distance from the wall if it were 10, 12, or 14"...just by selecting the appropriate adapter. Most other toilets adjust by making the tank thicker or thinner so the toilet will fit on the rough-in with an acceptable distance to the wall.

FWIW, check Terry's website for good prices on Toto toilets. While he does not ship, that will give you a good idea of the 'street' prices, which can vary a lot from the suggested retail.

jeniloohoo

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. I realize I have to find a replacement for the Whitehaus. It seems that more Toto styles now use the unifit adapter. The list is different from the first page of this thread from 4 years ago. It looks like the Legato and Aimes can use the unifit. I also saw a reference to the Supreme. Can you folks confirm the list? I am looking for a more modern look. Thank you so much. You folks are really providing excellent information.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
All Toto toilets that can use the Unifit adapter are skirted, but NOT all skirted toilets can use the Unifit...so, you could filter on skirted, then check the spec sheet carefully...if it lists the Unifit (it will come with the 12" one, you get to throw that away when you buy the 14" optional one), then you're going to be okay. I have an older Vespin and Carlyle at my home, and they have been fault free for many years. Like anything, you may need to replace the flapper valve - depends a lot on your water quality, but those are available readily locally. Toto uses a few different fill valves, but if you end up with the one made for them by Korky, the only wear part for that is a quick and easy replacement - it's a cap with a rubber gasket - takes only a couple of minutes with no tools required to replace.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Supreme and Supreme II are not skirted. The skirted version that takes the Unifit is called the Carolina II.

I personally would look at:

Carlyle II
Vespin II
Soiree

Street prices are typically at least 35% off of list. You can see what's a fair price by looking at Terry's prices above. You can call around to plumbing supply houses with the model number and color you want and ask their price for a cash sale today...

Last edited:

Bud Bottle

Reaction score
14 in. Rough In Options

I just had our upstairs (main) bathroom remodled. Everything looks great, except for the little baby toilet that looks like it is sitting in the middle of the room. Apparently I have 14 in rough in, and the guys that did the bathroom just slapped a 12 inch, cheapest you can find toilet in. It's several inches away from the wall, small, cheap looking, and to be honest, a little ridiculous looking compared to the rest of the bathroom which looks professionally done.

I got a really "friendly" price on the job so I don't want to say anything. I just want to handle this myself and replace. It looks like an $80 toilet, it's gotta go!

Unfortunately I am pretty price sensitive over the next couple of months (less than $500 i'm thinking,) so the Toto's with adaptor might be out of reach. Can you make some suggestions on what I can replace it with? These 14 in toilets seem pretty rare. HD doesnt even carry in store, you have to have them shipped.

Thanks,

Bud Bottle

Reaction score
What make and model is the toilet? Most have a 14" tank that replaces your 12" one so it fits closer to the wall.

It is a Glacier Bay 1.28 high efficiency. Even if I was able to get the larger tank, I still think the toilet gotta go. It just seems cheap and small.

Bud Bottle

Reaction score
Anyone know what the cheapest Toto model that ultilizes the unifit adaptor is? I guess the same question is cheapest Toto that fits 14" rough in

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can always use a 12" bowl if you're worried about money.

If you want to pull the bowl back 2", then the TOTO Vespin CST474CEFG and order a 14" Unifit for it. It comes with the 12" that you won't use.
I have a ton of those on the shelf.

Bud Bottle

Reaction score
You can always use a 12" bowl if you're worried about money.

If you want to pull the bowl back 2", then the TOTO Vespin CST474CEFG and order a 14" Unifit for it. It comes with the 12" that you won't use.
I have a ton of those on the shelf.

Yeah, I don't want to use a 12" bowl. That is what they installed, and it looks ridiculous how far from the wall it is. I am not concerned with leg room at all, I simply want the toilet tank to be close to the wall.

What would you say is the best bang for the buck?

1) Order a Vespin + Seat + 14"adaptor
or
2)Buy a 14" Kohler from HD for $400 ?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 14" Kohler will still be sitting out there a ways.
But at least you will have lot's of shelf space on top of that tank. They use a 12" bowl.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
For the extra 100 ish dollars, the Vespin 2 plus seat plus 14 inch unifit is going to look a lot better. Over the long run, you should be very happy with it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks