Search results

1. Smhowell

Lighting The Brick Freestanding Fireplace

The house that we're getting ready to move into has a working, brick veneered, freestanding fireplace in a room with a cathedral ceiling. There is a ceiling fan in the center of the room, and midway between the ceiling fan and the fireplace are three really ugly, 25-year-old white track lights...
  2. Smhowell

How do I replace a closet flange?

What is the procedure for replacing a closet flange? The waste pipe is 3" pvc cast into a slab. I need to replace an offset with a straight.
  3. Smhowell

Can anyone figure this one out? PVC offset toilet flange in a slab.

Had a plumber come in and install the shower plumbing that dear hubby got wrong - twice. (I made him take out the compression fittings and Sharkbites did NOT hold pressure after my DH installed them. When I finally observed his technique, I could see why. Not that my dear hubby isn't absolutely...
  4. Smhowell

Sharkbite fittings?

Sorry for the hurry, and thanks all who helped with the compression fitting question. Has anyone had experience, good or bad, with Sharkbite fittings? They look almost foolproof. The salesman says they'll pass code within the walls, and we need to close up the walls tomorrow at the latest...
  5. Smhowell

Are compression fittings as good as soldering?

My husband prefers to use compression fittings because they are easier, but are they as durable as soldered connections? These connections are going behind a tiled wall. Thanks in advance, Sharon
  6. Smhowell

Advice on handheld shower w/dechlorinator

We are rebuilding a bathroom from the studs. I prefer a handheld shower and would like to use a dechlorinator for health reasons. What kind of dechlorinator should I purchase? The salesman where I bought the Delta shower controller also sold me a 90 degree wall supply elbow to come out of the...
  7. Smhowell

Please Help!

The shower in the house we just bought had a catastrophic failure of the custom shower. The drain it it seems to match Plastic Oddities p/n PBR400, the drawing of which can be viewed at: http://store.podirect.com/servlet/Detail?no=605 I got the replacement parts and a square ring with strainer...
  8. Smhowell

Plastic Oddities Bolt-on Tiled Shower Drain

Just bought a house that the custom shower failed. The drain collar was warped, but we didn't want to chip out and replace the drain base. After looking all over town, where everyone carries Oatey; we ordered the parts from Plastic Oddities because that's the only one that fit the part we don't...
  9. Smhowell

Front door with sidelights

I'm drawing plans for a remodel. How big should I make the rough-in for a 36" front door with either one or two 12" sidelight(s)? I have 8' ceilings. Thanks in advance, Sharon
  10. Smhowell

Would someone explain to me...

My husband and I have a really small house, so every square foot matters. Would someone explain to me why we can't put the water heater about the ceiling like we installed the central heat unit? There is more than 8 foot clearance up there. I want a 50-gallon capacity unit. Is there a half...
  11. Smhowell

How much labor to pour concrete?

My husband has a 8' by 30' pad which will need about 3.5 tons of concrete to pour. How much manpower should it take to get the concrete off the truck and smooth finished? We are wondering if we should hire a couple of extra guys to help. Thanks in advance, Sharon
  12. Smhowell

Anyone know anything about concrete?

Our garage is 25' x 30'; unknown age. The stemwall is 1 foot high and about 6 inches thick. It was placed on top of the ground when it was poured. The entire north end (25') blew out (tilted) about 4" when they poured 3 - 3 1/2" unreinforced concrete on 12" of fine sand. The northwest corner...
  13. Smhowell

Non-removeable lavatory drain popup

I'd never seen a non-removeable metal pop up drain plug in a lavatory until I moved into my current house. The sink is a wall mount, circa 1960's. Every house I'd lived in before had either no drain plug (used a rubber one) or a metal removeable drain plug which was part of the sink hardware...
  14. Smhowell

What brand of faucet?

Am working on the first of two bathroom remodels. So far, I bought a 36" marble topped, bow-front vanity with sink, but the faucet and hardware are not included. The sink is drilled on 8" or widespread three hole installation. I read in one book that you should use a name-brand in cast brass...
  15. Smhowell

Intermittent Perfect Flushing

Previously working used toilet worked for 3 days after re-installation perfectly, then became sluggish and started requiring plunging and multiple flushes. The other day, it flushed perfectly for half a day, and now is back to poorly performing. My husband doesn't have a closet auger, and...
  16. Smhowell

Best laser level under $400

I appreciate the people who answered my $200 question, but after looking at everything, it looks like I might need a little more laser level. I need one that is self leveling, easy to use, creates a 360 degree line, and can be used to generate a horizontal or vertical line. Please render your...
  17. Smhowell

Buy a compound miter saw or keep the one I have?

Shortly before I moved and lost my workshop (several years ago), I purchased a Delta 36-235 12" compound miter saw. I've never had it out of the box. Now they have laser guided tools, which I think is a neat idea. A salesman at a local home improvement center told me that the old tools were...
  18. Smhowell

Best laser level

What is the best laser level in the under $200 range? Thanks in advance, Sharon
  19. Smhowell

What do I need to straighten the floors?

My husband and I are planning a complete remodel of a 1939 house with a crawl space. We know that there is a severe sag in the middle two rooms of the house, and buckling in the floor in the latest addition (circa 1960). Before we start moving walls, we want to straighten the floors using...
  20. Smhowell

Are deep bathtubs made anymore?

I plan to remodel both bathrooms in the next year. One bathroom, probably built in the sixties, has a nice deep steel or cast iron bathtub (not sure) that I like, but I could buy a new bathtub for what it would cost to have it refinished. What I like about it is that it is very deep with fairly...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks