Can anyone figure this one out? PVC offset toilet flange in a slab.

Users who are viewing this thread

Smhowell

Reaction score
Had a plumber come in and install the shower plumbing that dear hubby got wrong - twice. (I made him take out the compression fittings and Sharkbites did NOT hold pressure after my DH installed them. When I finally observed his technique, I could see why. Not that my dear hubby isn't absolutely brilliant at most things, but he is now prohibited from doing any plumbing that involves the inside of walls.)

Mr. Plumber noticed that the pvc toilet offset flange faced the toilet toward the shower instead of toward the door, which was the direction the toilet actually faced when we took it out. Needless to say, it was only held down by one bolt - the other bolt was jammed between the pvc and the slab. I was so busy destructing the bathroom that I failed to notice it too, and plumbing, needless to say, is not my bailiwick.

I thought that they offset the toilet to center it, but after actually doing the measuring, the drain hole is actually centered where it's supposed to be in the slab floor and the offset makes it two inches too close to the wall on the side.

First thing I can't understand is why they put the drain in the right spot, and then changed it to make it wrong.

The second thing I can't understand is how we are going to take out the offset and put in a straight flange, which is preferable anyway (less clogging). The custom shower installer guy thought that we could rent an inside cutter, then attach a repair flange to keep from chipping out all that concrete, but I can't quite see how that's going to work.

The third thing I'm wondering is if anyone else has ever seen this problem before?

Please feel free to describe how to fix this mess (other than have our now favorite plumber come back).

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
I'd be halfways to my truck to get the rotary hammer.
The whole problem started with half measures.
Do it right the first time, even if it's a headache and it's easier all around...cut corners and you're doing it all over again.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
Offset flanges don't mix well with kids.
Toy solders like to hang out there.
They come in handy when there's no other choice, but when the option presents itself to relocate drainage to use a regular flange..I do it.

Smhowell

Reaction score
cruiser said:
Does your poor old fella know you're on here giving him a hard time:))

Uhmmm, no, and with any luck, he'll never find out. I was harsher on him than necessary...he has done sinks and new faucet installation and ro systems and lots of wonderful amateur work. But I'm learning where his weaknesses are, and that includes faucet repairs. Please keep in mind that I'm awfully particular and picky about the work I approve of, which is why I'm a little slow about hiring professionals - more than half don't meet my standards, either.

What we really need to know is how to unweld the closet flange. I think I can chisel out enough concrete without tearing up the pvc to get to it, depending on how big of a hole is required. Do I really need to take out 8" in all directions around it?

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
Post a pic of the flange with a ruler beside it...
If the pipe is 4" it should be easy...
If it is 3". it could get messy...LOL

Smhowell

Reaction score
markts30 said:
Post a pic of the flange with a ruler beside it...
If the pipe is 4" it should be easy...
If it is 3". it could get messy...LOL

I've never posted a picture anywhere before...

The bad news is, it is 3" pipe. How does this affect things?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

It eliminates the easy options. A good plumber will know how to remove the flange and install a new one. There was probably a bolt slot on a tab on the inside of the flange for the second bolt, but it most likely broke off a long time ago.

Smhowell

Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
Offset flanges don't mix well with kids.
Toy solders like to hang out there.
They come in handy when there's no other choice, but when the option presents itself to relocate drainage to use a regular flange..I do it.

Ok, I finally figured out that they put in the offset because they set the pipe two inches too far from the wall.

I decided to let a plumber remove the offset flange, and while we were at it, I got him to extend the pipe below with a new pipe. Unfortunately, the original pipe was run at an angle, so the toilet will be slightly off center now, but I think I can live with that. Tough choice - center it using an offset or have it a little off with a straight. Went with option number 2, based on what you've said above. Thanks again.

Last edited:

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
smhowell said:
Ok, I finally figured out that they put in the offset because they set the pipe two inches too far from the wall.

I decided to let a plumber remove the offset flange, and while we were at it, I got him to extend the pipe below with a new pipe. Unfortunately, the original pipe was run at an angle, so the toilet will be slightly off center now, but I think I can live with that. Tough choice - center it using an offset or have it a little off with a straight. Went with option number 2, based on what you've said above. Thanks again.

I'd have used a st. & regular 22 on the angle...done it before to center a badly set flange, they can be rotated slightly to alter the direction, as long as you don't pitch them down.
Good move getting the offset flange out, saved a few trips down the road from grumpy guys like me.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks