Search results

1. Dirtmover

Cleaning lower basket

I've got an older GE softener and was wondering if there are any tricks to get the lower basket out and back in again without removing all of the resin. I did clean the top end which had quite a bit of iron buildup and took quite a bit of scrubbing so I suspect the bottom basket may be in a...
  2. Dirtmover

Water pressure dropping off

My setup: pump -> pressure switch (40:60) -> tank -> sediment filter -> softener Been noticing the water pressure/flow drops considerably more than it used to when the pump is not running and the pressure tank is emptying. Everything is fine while the pump is running. The drop is noticed on...
  3. Dirtmover

Moen kitchen faucet - low flow problem

I've got a Moen kitchen faucet whose flow is a bit temperamental sometimes slowing to a trickle. I picked up a replacement 1225 cartridge assuming that there was some issue with it but alas this made no difference. I did however notice when the flow from the tap slows if I use the hand spray it...
  4. Dirtmover

10" versus 12" toilet - what have I got?

Just bought and older property. The flange is centred about 10.25" from the wall, 10" rough in I assume?. The toilet sits with the tank touching the wall. The flange bolts are tilted forward into the holes, on the toilet, which are centred about 10.75" from the wall. It fits, almost, but not...
  5. Dirtmover

Shallow well water quality

I've got an offer in on a property. The current owner knows very little about the well, location, depth etc. He's only owned the property for 5 years so has probably never had to deal with it. I did notice that he's using a convertible jet pump mounted on the pressure tank. The pump hasn't been...
  6. Dirtmover

Resin replacement mesh size

I've got a 13 year old GE water softener. Yeah, I know you probably all hate them but it has run flawlessly since I repaired the metering turbine 11 years ago. The softening capacity, however, is not what it once was and I'm assuming the resin may have reached the end of its life. I...
  7. Dirtmover

sandpoint/pump loosing prime - air in pump

We have a lakefront cottage that we use over the summer. Water is coming from a sandpoint sucked by a standard jet pump. This season when I primed the system and it worked OK to start with but is now unable to hold it's prime because the pump becomes air logged. We have never had any issues...
  8. Dirtmover

Well pump controller with flood detector.

It seems like a no brainer to me to have a flood monitor that can interrupt the supply to my well pump when strategically placed sensors detect the presence of water. This would be extremely easy and almost free to incorporate into an electronic pressure switch or CP controller. Is such a device...
  9. Dirtmover

Freestanding tub faucet connection advise

Freestanding tub faucet connection advice I'm looking for advice on connecting the water supply to a freestanding tub faucet. The risers terminate in 1/2" NPS (male) under the floor. Standard flex connectors are the obvious option but I'm not sure it's a good idea fully enclosing this type of...
  10. Dirtmover

Best caulking for acrylic shower base

I recently installed an new shower with acrylic base and have been having terrible problems getting the caulk to seal at the base. It just does not want to stick to the acrylic and water seeps underneath it. The first application was made immediately after removing the plastic protective film so...
  11. Dirtmover

Advanced thermostat - is this feature available?

The issue is that I want to be able to equalise the temperature of my home without running the furnace fan continuously and in particular control the differential between upstairs and downstairs. This is especially problematic overnight in the summer when the AC tends to cycle less and I can end...
  12. Dirtmover

Securing a freestanding faucet

It's for a clawfoot tub I just bought. The faucet sits on 2 x 3/4" risers but how do I plumb and secure the risers at the floor? Here are the instructions http://www.costco.ca/images/content/misc/pdf/211933c_installation.pdf. The only relevant instruction they give is "Position floor pipe into...
  13. Dirtmover

T&P Valve failure???

I shut my water heater down for two weeks while on vacation. I turned the heater back on this afternoon and after running for about an hour the T&P valve opened up discharging water over the basement floor. Is this a common failure mode for this type of valve after the heater has been allowed to...
  14. Dirtmover

Repairing submersible pumps

I have a 3/4hp Goulds submersible that I removed from my well because the pressure had significantly dropped. The motor is still fine but it was used to supply a water sourced heat pump for the 7.5 years it was in service so has pumped a LOT of water. It was suggested by a plumber that it would...
  15. Dirtmover

Meyers pumps

The Predator ST appears to be their premium submersible. How does it line up against, for example, Goulds or Grundfos. They seem to be about $100 less expensive on comparable models but is this at the cost of quality? thanks...
  16. Dirtmover

Grundfos 10SQ

Hi, I'm at the point where I need to replace my slowly deteriorating sumbersible pump. Based on my requirements the local pump shop is recommending a Grundfos 10SQ 3/4 hp 3" pump. The major features he's trying to sell me on are the soft start and run dry protection. To me this just sounds like...
  17. Dirtmover

muriatic acid and septic system

Is it OK to use muriatic acid to clean toilet a bowls jets that is discharging into a septic system?
  18. Dirtmover

Shallow well pump seizing

I have a shallow well pump, convertible jet, on a sandpoint at the cottage. After sitting for the week unused it sometimes seizes, just sits buzzing, at which point I quickly turn the power off. I can turn the motor manually using a screwdriver to rotate the fan through the ventilation holes in...
  19. Dirtmover

Replacing submersible pump

Any tips on replacing a submersible pump? I want to do it myself but have never done one before and am looking for some advice. The current pump is hanging from the pitless adapter by a PVC drop pipe. The pump is set at 60' according to the drillers report so should not be too heavy, about...
  20. Dirtmover

Well pump and heat pump

I just stumbled across this forum and it looks as though some of you may have the expertise to answer a few questions. I have a water sourced heat pump that is fed from the same well as my house water. The setup is 1hp well pump -> PRESSURE REGULATOR -> pressure switch/gauge -> pressure...
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks