sandpoint/pump loosing prime - air in pump

Users who are viewing this thread

Dirtmover

Reaction score
We have a lakefront cottage that we use over the summer. Water is coming from a sandpoint sucked by a standard jet pump.

This season when I primed the system and it worked OK to start with but is now unable to hold it's prime because the pump becomes air logged. We have never had any issues in the 5 years we've owned the place but water levels are at record lows at the moment.

Here is a summary of the system starting inside:
- Indoor plumbing
-> Sediment filter
-> Pressure tank
-> Jet pump
-> Check valve
-> Quick connect fitting
-> 1" poly pipe disappears into the sand floor of the crawl space
-> I have no clue where the well is or how deep. The survey we have gives an approx location and the previous owner told us it was 15' deep but I don't have a good feeling that this information is accurate.

There are 2 other 1.25" unterminated pipes disappearing into the sand floor. Maybe from previous wells that have been abandoned?

Where should I start debugging this? While the air would tend to suggest that I am sucking it from the well when I open the quick connect fitting on the well side of the check valve there is water at the top of the pipe indicating there is no appreciable quantity of air in the suction line. Further, the water level in this line is not dropping when left open.

While still disconnected from the suction line I re-primed the pump and started it with my hand covering the inlet of the check valve but feel no suction. Is there any way that air can get into the pump while running while not leaking water when idle?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks