Moen kitchen faucet - low flow problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Dirtmover

Reaction score
I've got a Moen kitchen faucet whose flow is a bit temperamental sometimes slowing to a trickle. I picked up a replacement 1225 cartridge assuming that there was some issue with it but alas this made no difference. I did however notice when the flow from the tap slows if I use the hand spray it works full force and the flow coming out of the tap actually increases at that point. When I stop using the hand spray the tap continues to flow at the normal flow rate. This fix is short lived however as over a period of time it will slow back down again.

What is going on with my faucet and how can I fix it.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Unscrew the aerator and clean the filter screen.

Dirtmover

Reaction score
Yeah, should have mentioned the aerator is clear.

Supply pipes are 1/2" copper. Pressure is fine - well water 30/50psi.

All other faucets OK.

Behaviour is the same with full hot, full cold or half and half.

Dirtmover

Reaction score
From the way the sprayer affects the flow, you have a defective diverter inside the faucet. Where it is, however, depends on which model you have.

Thanks, this is exactly the conclusion that I was coming to after doing a bit more reading this morning. I know exactly where it is. I popped it out yesterday and cleaned the scale off it and from the mating surface in the spout, greased the o-rings with silicone grease and put it back together. It looked fine but I've not figured out how this part works so I don't really know what to look for? What breaks with them and how do you tell if they're defective other than observing the symptoms? The only wear part I see is the o-rings.

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Replace it. In the mean time you can just leave it out. It will help your volume problem but it just won't turn the spout off when using the spray.

John

Dirtmover

Reaction score
....but it just won't turn the spout off when using the spray.

No change there then. It doesn't turn the spout off anyway instead making the flow better out of the spout when the spray is on.

Thanks for the tip. If Home Depot don't stock it I'll just remove it until I get a chance to visit the local plumbing supply store.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As long as you know WHAT you need, call 1-800-BUY-MOEN and they will send you a replacement. I have NEVER had any luck cleaning or repairing diverters once they start to malfunction.

Dirtmover

Reaction score
Thanks guys, my free warranty replacement diverter valve is on its way. I'm sure that will fix it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks