Repairing submersible pumps

Users who are viewing this thread

Dirtmover

Reaction score
I have a 3/4hp Goulds submersible that I removed from my well because the pressure had significantly dropped. The motor is still fine but it was used to supply a water sourced heat pump for the 7.5 years it was in service so has pumped a LOT of water. It was suggested by a plumber that it would be worth repairing since the motor is still in good shape. He indicated that the impellers often break away from the shaft resulting in reduced head and these can easily be replaced.

Yeah, I know there are proabably an number of factors to consider here but in general is it even worth considering repair of a pump this age?

Speedbump

Reaction score
How did you determine the motor is in good shape?

Seven years is the average life of a sub motor. If you used this motor with a GWHP for that length of time, cycling it on and off like I assume you did, you are lucky it lasted that long.

Submersible pumps are not easy to repair and the parts alone would cost as much as a new liquid end completely assembled.

IMHO, throw the thing away.

bob...

Dirtmover

Reaction score
The insulation and winding resistances are within spec according to the data that Goulds provide. The running current was around 8.5A which is a touch high for a 3/4hp but I suspect it was just underloaded due to the wear.

I guess the question is if it's worth even consdering putting a motor of this age and that has had enough usage to wear out the pump back into service or am I just asking for motor failure in a few years.

BTW, it uses a pressure regulator to ensure that the pump runs for the entire duration when the heat pump is on with no cycling. Typically this is no more than 3-4 times per hour.

R

Rancher

The bottom line question is... how much is it going to cost to repair/replace the pump section? You can buy surplus pumps real cheap at that online auction place E B A Y. I've never bought a submersible pump there but the other pumps such as re-circ pumps like Taco go for less than half what I can get them for normally.

Rancher

Speedbump

Reaction score
If it pulls high amps with no pump on it, that motor is on it's way out. It should pull around 25 - 35% less than normal amps with no load. The high amps mean the bearings are tightening up, or the rotor is rubbing the stator or the thrust bearing is going. Even though the ohm readings are good, there are a lot of mechanical things that wear out.

It's good that it didn't cycle. That's probably the only reason it's still alive today.

I would still pitch it in the trash. Better yet, at the price of scrap metal these days, recycle it. You might make a few bucks.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks