toilet flange question. did i screw up?

Users who are viewing this thread

masterbath

Reaction score
i installed what i thought would be a workable solution but i fear i may have screwed up. i used an Oatey inside? flange because when i evaluated what i had left on my pipe, it didnt seem possible to do it any other way due to how close i had to cut back to the P-trap. this was installed a long time ago and now i am ready to install toilet. i looked at the wax ring and see it appears there is no way to do this right based on installing with the wax ring's flange down. is that wrong? it seems i have seen it both ways in installations. even pointing it up, it doesnt appear to be a good fit. i sure hope i dont have to redo all of this because i suspect that means replacing the p-trap and ripping up my new tile i just installed. and i worked hard to get that cut out around the flange so pretty ;) on marble...

help!

EZUYI-Image131.jpg

GUCXZ-Image132.jpg

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
We don't recommend intalling a toilet flange INSIDE a 3" pipe, . That is a small opening for the waste. But at this point, the solution is to use the basic wax ring without the plastic funnel.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You also should put some anchor screws in the flange...right now, it is at the mercy of the drain pipe. Finally, it would have been better to raise the flange to where it is supposed to be - sitting on top of the finished floor, not burried in it. You'll likely need either a thick wax ring, or stack two standard ones to make a good seal with the flange low like that.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Please say you misspoke when you said you have a P trap in the toilet drain. A toilet is the only fixture that does not use a P trap. Well, that isn't exactly true either, because a toilet has the trap build into it. As Jimbo wrote, you should not use a 3" inside fit flange. Just because they make them, doesn't mean they are good to use. A 4" inside fit is OK although I'd prefer the outside fit there as well. Looking at the photos, it's a little unclear to me if your flange is setting on top of the finished floor as it should be or is it recessed below the tile?

masterbath

Reaction score
thanks for all the info, i knew i'd get that kind of response. i really should have gotten a plumber involved origionally but this was as many a tight budget - pay later right?

here is some clarifications

mispoke? most likely. i assumed it is a p-trap. i guess just the elbow. so my point was that i had to cut so close and install a union (in hindsight i guess i should have shortened it) which then didnt allow enough pipe to install over the pipe. i think i had an inch or two left. that is what drove my choice even though i felt uneasy about it at the time and still do.

flange level. it is about 1/8" below surface. i did buy a spacer which to my understanding can be placed on top of the flange? i emailed oatey with questions on how to seal that and they told me to use a wax ring between the flange and spacer - sounded odd to me.

i bought a wax ring that claims to be for these types of scenarios (actually have three different ones). it is close to 2x the thickness of the others but all do have the flange in them. so i guess they sell them without that insert?

anchors - it was my intent to anchor it but i had installed this a few months back (going on a 2yr bathroom remodel UGH!). i backfilled that area with some sand and then cement. seems quite secure. also at the time i didnt have the drill i do now. old one couldnt handle it.

my first preference would be to do it right regardless of my screw up here. i know this is probably a tough question but for an experienced plumber - if the elbow needs to be replaced due to inability to put the correct flange on it, how much of the floor would he have to tear up? i have more tile and surely will replace what is needed if that is the route to go. i am going to call a guy i used to connect my water supply up but thought i'd ask you guys. i started here 2+ years ago and was directed to John Bridges and now i am back so i know you guys won't lead me astray.

thanks for all the information.

masterbath

Reaction score
is the circumference of wax rings all the same? looking at the ones i have seem to be larger than the depression in this flange. i was going to see if i can find a ring today that doesnt have the flange in it.

thanks

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yes wax rings are the same.
It is your drain that is not standard and does not meet code!

3" is a minimum pipe size for toilets and a flange that fits inside 3" does not meet that minimum.

If you do go against the advice to put in a flange that goes on the outside of the pipe that wax ring is the last one that I would consider...

You will end up doing a new floor shortly! You'll be able to get it right then!

masterbath

Reaction score
well, we all got a chuckle out of this...

"You will end up doing a new floor shortly! You'll be able to get it right then!"

enough said, since the floor hasn't even been used yet. i will start digging tonight. i suspect i will be back before it is done with more questions. i do have one right now i was'nt sure of the last time. once you have your pipe in place, how and what do you backfill with?
do you just backfill with dirt/sand or do you use cement or both? i guess i wasnt sure because all of the work i have done like this i see only dirt but then how do you anchor the flange?

thanks for your help.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Am I correct in inferring that this is on a slab or basement? If so, you use concrete to fill the void. There is a foam sleeve you can buy to put around the pipe so there is a little space between the pipe and the concrete. You can make your own sleeve from cardboard if you wish. You then anchor the flange into the concrete. If the flange is over a crawlspace, then you anchor into the sub floor which should be more or less tight to the pipe. If you are tiling the floor, put the holes in the tile when you lay the tile rather than later...tile is hard to drill.

masterbath

Reaction score
sorry, yes it is slab, no basement. it looks like i am in luck. i just got that flange off and now remember why i did what i did. i was worn out from the never ending remodel and when i got to this i discovered that the outside of the pipe was covered in glue so i was afraid i wouldnt be able to get the fitting over it. i just worked it over with a dremel and sanding bit which did a pretty good job. going to get my new flange and more cement. sure glad i took the plunge, and sure sorry i was so worn out the first time around. i got this toilet mixed up with the other - had to replace that flange about 6months ago. they did really crappy work in my opinion making it hard to replace. i sure can't wait to "use" this toilet. hardest part of this today was jacking out the cement i put in. i didnt realize i did such a good job. i could have anchored the house down with it. good to know because i was really concerned about it at the time. i know on the other toilet i created a barrier like you mention with cardboard and tape. not sure why i didnt do this one.

thanks again!

masterbath

Reaction score
done. went swimmingly. just have to wait for cement to set.

thanks for all the good advice!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks