Sink drain advice needed

Users who are viewing this thread

mgb2

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of a complete bathroom remodel, and have run into an issue I'm hoping you folks can help me with.

The existing drain stack is CI, and the drain lines from the bathroom lavs to the stack are lead. Since the wall is open, and I wanted to have a nice clean wall stub for the new pedestal lav, I removed the old lead pipe (it's a wonder the sink drained at all, given all the crud inside!).

So now I've created an interested situation for myself. The CI fitting is rotated slightly so that any PVC inserted will not run parallel to the wall surface, but would instead shoot out into the room within a few inches. The old lead, of course, had been formed as needed. A 22.5 degree fitting would shoot the pipe back too far the other way, and it appears the hard-to-find 11.25 degree fittings aren't available in 1.5 inch sizes.

I've seen mention of bending PVC pipe to shape, but it sounds like it's not typically allowed by code.

Anyone have any ideas?

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can't make pipe straight with fittings you could carefully heat pipe and form so it it straight with wall. It's done alot on slabs where the waste is penetrating thru concrete and is not perfectly plumb. This is provided you don't have alot to bend.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
If you can't make pipe straight with fittings you could carefully heat pipe and form so it it straight with wall. It's done alot on slabs where the waste is penetrating thru concrete and is not perfectly plumb. This is provided you don't have alot to bend.

Really? Sounds like nice neat plumbing to me...

pvcbending.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would put 2 elbows together such as 1/16 bends.
You can create any angle needed from 0 degrees up to 45 degrees.
It's called plumbing!

Master Plumber 101,
Funny how a guy that doesn't like the appearance of PEX...
Calling it a lack of skill and craftmanship....
Would heat and bend PVC...
I guess your PEX work would be sloppy...

Last edited:

mgb2

Reaction score
It's called plumbing!

I think I see what you're saying. By rotating the elbow, you vary the horizontal angle, which of course also changes the vertical angle. But by using two elbows together, you can compensate for that...

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Yeaa, you can't go heating and bending dvw, pvc conduit for electrical you can, but for plumbing you can't.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's called plumbing!

Master Plumber 101,
Funny how a guy that doesn't like the appearance of PEX...
Calling it a lack of skill and craftmanship....
Would heat and bend PVC...
I guess your PEX work would be sloppy...

Well Bone head,if you read the post I said if there was not much to bend not like the picture of the work you installed.

Kingsotall

Plunger/TurdPuncher
Reaction score
For what it's worth, the othe day at a remodel a piece of PVC that was tore out had such a bend as created by applying heat to it. I wish I would have took a picture of it. It was nice work but then again I questioned the legality of it.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
laugh-1.gif

Oh Hacker Plumber 101....
You are just so funny...
I would do as I said and install elbows to plumb it up right...

It's all part of that working smarter not harder that I mentioned to you before...
To heat and bend the pipe would not only be wrong to do but it would be harder and more time consuming...
I would already have elbows primer and cement with me...
I wouldn't waste the trip back to the truck to get a heating device to heat and bend the pipe...

Time to put you on iggy! You really like to argue your point too hard when your wrong...

Whipping dead horses so to speak.

Fortunately you spend more time union organizing than plumbing so we are probably fairly safe from your bad work habits...

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
706.1 Connections and changes in direction. All connections
and changes in direction of the sanitary drainage system shall be
made with approved drainage fittings
. Connections between
drainage piping and fixtures shall conform to Section 405.
This is where it says that you can't heat and bend PVC. Note the "All connections" part.

Master Plumber 101

In the Trades
Reaction score
laugh-1.gif

Oh Hacker Plumber 101....
You are just so funny...
I would do as I said and install elbows to plumb it up right...

It's all part of that working smarter not harder that I mentioned to you before...
To heat and bend the pipe would not only be wrong to do but it would be harder and more time consuming...
I would already have elbows primer and cement with me...
I wouldn't waste the trip back to the truck to get a heating device to heat and bend the pipe...

Time to put you on iggy! You really like to argue your point too hard when your wrong...

Whipping dead horses so to speak.

Fortunately you spend more time union organizing than plumbing so we are probably fairly safe from your bad work habits...

You can take what I say out of context if you want. I never said bend the pvc to form a fitting, I also believe heating pipe even to form a 22 is overboard, the post never intended that.

Keep blabbing Joker!

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Hacker Plumber 101,
I decided that what could be better than bringing in an expert for an opinion.
I E-Mailed Brian Conner at Charlotte Pipe last nite at 11:30 P.M. asking him his opinion...
I really didn't expect to see an answer before Tuesday but I recieved A reply at 6 A.M. today...

I'll give Charlotte Pipe high marks for that!

The following is what I wrote:

----- Original Message -----
To: Conner, Brian
Sent: Sat Aug 30 23:28:16 2008
Subject: Heating and bending schedule 40 pvc dwv pipe and foamcore

I'm wondering if you could settle an argument.
Another plumber insists that it is okay to heat and sightly bend PVC drain pipes.
I say, No Way! Use elbows to make up the bend.

What do you say and why?

Thanks,
Redwood

Brian Replied:

Re: Heating and bending schedule 40 PVC dwv pipe and foamcoreSunday, August 31, 2008 5:57 AM
From: "Conner, Brian" <BConner@charlottepipe.com>Add sender to Contacts To: Redwood

Redwood,

You Sir, are correct! The reason you cannot do this with plumbing pipe is, the maximum deflection is 5%. This deflection property is listed in each plumbing pipe standard, so the water way is not affected. Anything past 5% deflection is considered to be in a failed state.

Heating electrical conduit on the other hand is a widely accepted and performed practice. Unlike plumbing pipe there is no issue with flow rates or flow velocity as there is no water flowing through the pipe.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Regards,

Brian Conner
Charlott Pipe and Foundry

Hacker Plumber 101,
There you have it...
I know its tough to accept but your skills and knowledge are lacking!
The whole world is against you!
Really don't take it so hard!

Uh oh... Somebody call 911

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks