Extremely loud sump pupm

Users who are viewing this thread

FoxPoint

Reaction score
Hello everyone. My wife and I love everything about our home except the sump pump. It's extremely loud. The pump runs often. When it has not rained for a while the pump will run once every two - three hours. After heavy rains it will cycle every couple of minutes. It's a 1/3 horsepower, cast iron submersible with a 1 1/4" discharge. The pipe coming out of the crock is PVC, but it attaches to galvanized pipe at about 6 feet vertical. It then exits the house and runs underground, ultimately discharging into the ditch. The pump is in the basement, and when it cycles the sound can be heard in the living room, which is directly over the pump, and in the master bedroom on the second floor, also directly over the pump. It's loud enough to wake me when I sleep. The sound is something like a cross between a very loud vibration and a motor (obviously the motor on the pump). My question is, is this problem "fixable?" Is it a matter of buying and installing a new pump? Changing the size of the PVC? Not discharging underground? Any suggestions would help, as this is driving me crazy. Thanks very much.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I think it may be about damping the vibrations.
You may want to set the pump on a rubber pad, and use rubber couplings where the pipes connect. It may also help to put on an insulated cover over the pump for sound, making sure you have at least a 2" vent to allow incoming air otherwise the pump won't be able to pull the water out.

Galvanized pipe will be quieter than plastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks