Sewer Repair (pics) in progress

Users who are viewing this thread

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
Hey All,
I thought that I would share some pictures of my sewer repair in progress. These couple of fellas hand dug the 7feet down to the pipe where I have an offset joint that is causing problems.

http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/lakee911/P2270017.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/lakee911/P2270018.jpg
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t131/lakee911/P2270021.jpg

They think they'll have to dig back on the pipe and raise it up, or maybe use an 11 degree angle. Personally I think they should cut the cast back 6 or 8" on either side and use PVC between the two with a couple of Ferncos or No- Hubs. I know it's tough to see what's going on down there.

I'm going to talk to them again in the morning.

Jason

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pipe

I see snow and guys working but nothing about the pipe. If it needs a fitting, and they might be looking a long time for a 1/32 bend, then two Ferncos and a longer section of pipe is not going to replace it.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Good thing I'm not doing it then, huh? :) I think this guy would rather work harder than smarter so he's not willing to bring in the backhoe.

Jason

Lakee911

Reaction score
Those fellas just got done fillin' in the hole as I was on my way home. I would have liked to inspect the repair before they closed it up.

They did no compaction of any fill, nor did they backfill with sand or gravel around the pipe. There is so much dirt, I'm having to haul some of it away. They said they packed it in and around the pipe and it will not be settling. It's under warranty if I have a problem though, they say.

So, anyhow ... how can I speed this settling process? I was thinking of using something that's for watering the roots of trees so I can esentially fill the hole with water deep down and help it settle? What do you think?

Thx,
Jason

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Those fellas just got done fillin' in the hole as I was on my way home. I would have liked to inspect the repair before they closed it up.

They did no compaction of any fill, nor did they backfill with sand or gravel around the pipe. There is so much dirt, I'm having to haul some of it away. They said they packed it in and around the pipe and it will not be settling. It's under warranty if I have a problem though, they say.

So, anyhow ... how can I speed this settling process? I was thinking of using something that's for watering the roots of trees so I can esentially fill the hole with water deep down and help it settle? What do you think?

Thx,
Jason

I think it will settle.
I think they should send a camera down the drain. That way you can atleast see the handy work they did. Have them make you a tape or dvd of it also.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I too would wonder what they did. You definitely want the camera to take a look. Compaction is not an issue unless they dug deeper than the pipe. As for the extra dirt mound it on top it will settle. If you haul it away you will end up with a depression.

BTW here a mini excavator rents for about $450 a day.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I would not haul away any dirt.

It came out it, will go back. You can move it around back of the house then as it settles you can add it back in to the trench.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
why?

They think they'll have to dig back on the pipe and raise it up, or maybe use an 11 degree angle.

IF that is what they need, then they should use it.

Personally I think they should cut the cast back 6 or 8" on either side and use PVC between the two with a couple of Ferncos or No- Hubs.

This implies that you want them to not use a fitting and bend it in the couplings. Twisting or bending couplings is not a substitute for a fitting.

But in any case, if there was some indecision as to how to do it, I would have wanted to see it done, before covering it to be sure it was done correctly, and not just cobbled together.

Lakee911

Reaction score
Well, at the first sight of problem, they will be back to send a camera down the line to view the pipe. It does have a warranty too. As sketchy as the guy is, he has always pulled through (although a little late sometimes) in the end.

They cut back more than what was shown in the last picture. They used PVC and a 22.5 degree angle w/ fernco couplings to connect to the existing pipe. Before they dug the hole and cut the pipe, it wasn't obvious how much, if any, angle there was between the two pipes.

I'm only 26 and I've done more contractor supervision (both at work and at home) than I think average person has. I own my house and I've done framing, drywall, plumbing, roofing, electrical work, tile, finishing, painting, appliance installs, toilet installs, cabinetry, concrete, etc, etc. Everything I do I am constantly learning how to do it better. Every job that I have contracted out, I end up learning something too and I have fewer and fewer problems with each one. So, the thing to learn here is that I should have inspected the final repair before back filling.

The hole is maybe 4ft x 4ft and it's piled up 12in, at least, above the hole and 12in above the hole next to it in a 3ft x 4ft area plus they stashed about three wheelbarrow loads in the back. I estimate that I have 50-60% compaction.

I know it will settle, but short of removing it and compacting it, can I speed it up any? I was thinking of filling the hole with water, but if I did that would the loose clay just turn in to quicksand, so to speak? Is that ok to do in this cold weather?

Thanks

Last edited:

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
backfill

we used to backfill with water all the time.It does speed the porcess along.
Just let your hose run in the hole at a slow stream when it start to settle
add more soil.Keep your caution tape around it.
Clay

Lakee911

Reaction score
Ok. I'll wait until Monday to start that. It's going to be too cold until then. It's snowing now.

Jason

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks